New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dudes, another quick question. I want to carry a smaller pistol I'll be getting in the near future, in the small-of-the-back location. my plan is to have it canted to the strong side (I'm a righty). what type of holster do you guys think might be best for that? i.e., on the belt, a clip on, inside the waist band, outside the waistband, etc.?

I have zero experience with this carry area and type, since my pistol is a large frame .40 S&W, and I carry it in an exterior holster at the range only. In other words, concealment is a stranger to me. :)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I'd recommend trying the traditional strong-side behind the hip position (3:30 to 5:00 oclock if right handed), or appendix carry (12:00 to 2:30 oclock) before going with small of back. I think you may find its not that hard to conceal a compact or subcompact in either of these places, both of which are safer and easier to draw from.

That said, I don't have experience with SOB carry, but High Noon makes some holsters specifically designed for that position, and all of their products are excellent and guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd recommend trying the traditional strong-side behind the hip position (3:30 to 5:00 oclock if right handed), or appendix carry (12:00 to 2:30 oclock) before going with small of back. I think you may find its not that hard to conceal a compact or subcompact in either of these places, both of which are safer and easier to draw from.

That said, I don't have experience with SOB carry, but High Noon makes some holsters specifically designed for that position, and all of their products are excellent and guaranteed for life.
good points. Perhaps I can experiment with the positions somehow. maybe use my wife's Ruger SR9c holster or something. thanks for the input!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any L hand IWB holster can work for SOB carry, but as Scotchman said concealing a compact or SC on the hip with a good holster is no problem.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
SOB is a pretty poor place to carry, do a little research before you spend the money on a holster.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Galco SOB holster for one of my pistols, I used it once. Uncomfortable, hard to access and for me doesnt conceal well. I wont change my wardrobe to carry, it is easy to find a good way to carry without doing so.

I would look into other choices before you buy. Go to your local shop with the intended pistol and try on holsters until you find one you like. The first holster you buy will probably not be the one you ultimately go with but it will be a start. I have gone through many many holsters trying to find the perfect one. If you can minimize this you can save yourself some money.

Dont rule out appendix carry or in my opinion even a crossdraw would be better than SOB.

Good luck,
George

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
SOB carry can lead to a spinal injury if you're ever in any sort of accident. Please research a bit before deciding to go that route.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, great comments guys, I really appreciate it. my brother said the same thing to me last night when he was over for dinner. I will put everything on hold for the moment, and slow down.

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I've received enough cautionary advice re this area of carry to totally back-burner the idea for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well I've received enough cautionary advice re this area of carry to totally back-burner the idea for now.
Allow me to chime in, as discussion forums are for just that. I was also warned by a number of members on here about SOB carry, and I agree with all their points. There is no disputing that.
That said, I often still carry there. I conceal either a large frame 9mm or a S&W .38. I'm a bigger guy and 90% of the time, I'm in a rather thin Tshirt. I've experimented with all the recommended locations, but haven't had any luck with proper concealment. SOB is the one location, for me, that the pistol absolutely does not print.

Sure, it's a lousy place to draw from, but in my mind, a slower draw is still better than no pistol at all. And hopefully I will never need it in that "split" second, and that I can see a potential threat or problem a little ahead of time. That's my hopes anyway.

Oh and I positively never drive with it in position, because yes, that will surely mess up your back.

Oh and BTW, I'm still using the crappy little $15 Uncle Mikes IWB holster......, not the best but works just fine for now and until I do a little more research.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the reply. my physique lends to a SOB carry as well, and that's why I brought it up. no need for TMI, but, that's just the way I see it. some of us guys actually have an ass! ;)

my pistol is WAY back ordered, so, I have plenty of time to work all of this out.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
SOB is bad for a lot of reasons. Comfort, accessibility, retention, concealment, and not to mention that ever present spinal injury.

I've carried in just about every form or method I have found (except for the Bra holsters!) and I chose the IWB at the 4:00 position as best for me and what my activities are. When I tried the SOB carry, I immediately found it to lack the comfort needed to use for all day carry. I did have an instance where I wiped out on some ice under the snow and I did fall onto my hip and back. There is nothing scarier than lying there wondering if you should move after that. My legs were numb for a bit, then they tingled for a few hours. Got checked out and everything was OK, but I decided to never try that again.

As with ANY carry method, there are pros and cons. If you can accept the negatives, then go for it. Paralysis is not one of them for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
SOB is Cool if you are staring in a movie like " Bad Boys" but in reality it's a bad way to carry if your going to be driving or sitting down for any long period of time it's very un comfortable etc. BTY the Boy's in the movie carried the Galco SOB holsters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts