New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tactical type sling and a forward grip for one of my ARs. What do you guys like and why? Sling mounts also.

thanks

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I use Black Hawk single points. Forward grips I don't know much about.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Although the TangoDown seems to be the most popular.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? I'm thinking a 2 point sling like the VTAC stuff looks pretty good, but I'm open to opinions.

· Registered
257 Posts
There are many good choices in slings,,depends on what your gonna do with the rifle !! VTAC are great slings,,also Blue Force Slings,,pick one and give it a try !!! Blue Force Gear I use Both,,single point and 2 point,,,like I said,,its depends on what I'm doing !! As far as Vert/Front grips,,,I like Hand Stops myself,,,,,but vert grips still have there place I guess !! Here are some ideal for ya to look at !
SKD Tactical: Tactical Sling for AR-15 / M4
Viking Tactics, Inc.
LaRue Tactical HandStop 2-Piece Set | LaRue Tactical

· Registered
274 Posts
I have a few Magpul MS2's, a Blue Force Gear single point and a Gear Sector 2 point. I really like the 2 point set up, it is more secure when moving than the single point set up. I will be getting more of the Gear Sectors in the future. Good luck.

· Registered
167 Posts
I use a Magpul MS3 sling, which can be used as both a two-point and a single point sling. Very handy, as it allows me to shoot from a lot of different positions as a single point sling. In its two-point configuration, I can use it like a hasty or Ching sling to stabilize my hold while standing. Pretty comfy to.

For a grip, I currently use a Magpul AFG-1 since I use an extended grip with my support hand. I've been thinking about ditching it for a handstop, since I've found that all I really want is an index point and something to help pull my rifle against my shoulder, that and it would save weight.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use a Magpul MS3 sling, which can be used as both a two-point and a single point sling. Very handy, as it allows me to shoot from a lot of different positions as a single point sling. In its two-point configuration, I can use it like a hasty or Ching sling to stabilize my hold while standing. Pretty comfy to.

For a grip, I currently use a Magpul AFG-1 since I use an extended grip with my support hand. I've been thinking about ditching it for a handstop, since I've found that all I really want is an index point and something to help pull my rifle against my shoulder, that and it would save weight.
I really like that MS3. I try to buy gear that is flexible so I don't have redundant stuff.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For a forward grip, I really like the Gripod ones. Push button legs pop out so you have built in Bi-pod. Have one on my ar-15 and 15-22 and they work out great.
They look really large and long. Do you know how they compare to a standard grip?

· Registered
466 Posts
No fore grip for me just a handstop. Offers more control than a broom stick type grip. Though a vertical fore grip can serve as a handstop as well, and be used to hold the gun more comfortably while at ease. The magpul afg works well, but I have gone away from these to a handstop to make the foreend a slimmer profile. Hand stops work great to locate your hand on the fore end for more consistant grip which will lead to more consistant shooting.

The VTac sling is a great piece of hardware. I perfer 2 point slings, I feel they give you more carry options. A single point pretty much hangs one way, down the center. So for me when I transition to a handgun and let my rifle hang, it hangs between my legs. If you are doing this fast and dont ease your longarm down it will ram right into your nuts. At this point it is also not tight to your body, which makes moving a bit more difficult.

I have also run the Magpul ms2 and ms3. Good slings that offer more options, one point or two. I feel that the ms2 is too thin and starts to dig into to you after extended use. I would recommend the VTac over the Magpul.

George

· Registered
167 Posts
They look really large and long. Do you know how they compare to a standard grip?
I have the all-polymer GripPod for law enforcement and I can't recommend it, to be honest. As a foregrip, it is way too long and heavy. As a bipod, it offers nowhere near the amount of stability that a Harris does.

The GripPod was designed to be held like a broomhandle and the legs are more like a kickstand for your rifle than an actual bipod. If you're into that kind of thing and you don't mind the clunkiness, then that's fine. Otherwise I would steer clear and either use a short ("stubby") vertical grip, or mount a Harris bipod with nothing behind it (except maybe some rail covers if your handguard has rails at 6 o' clock). I wouldn't recommend using both, as it will make your gun very front-heavy.

· Registered
99 Posts
While I don't own one yet I've handled friends rifles with 1 and 2 point slings and I have to say I prefer the single points. Mainly for the fact that they are just simpler. However like you I still can't make up my mind about what I want, I'm leaning towards a specter "viper" single point though. Are there any stores near you that are willing to let you try both and buy the one you like?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.