New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, me being new to the world of pistols, I have a question for the ones that know more than me. I was told on one of my videos on YouTube that it isn't OK to close the slide with the slide lock (not manually letting it come forward slowly) letting the slide fly forward without a round in the chamber. I was told it should only be slowly brought forward manually when dealing with no round in the chamber. Well, I know the Dry-Firing thing is FUD, but has anyone heard about this and is it true? This is with my P99, so I'd imagine it would be the same for similar polymer pistols. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As Jeff said it's fine. The only thing polymer is the frame, not the slide, barrel or breech. It is however bad gun shop etiquette to do such a maneuver on a gun you are looking at in the store. Those are the times you should slowly close it, and always ask before dry firing (in a safe direction of course).

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
As Jeff said it's fine. The only thing polymer is the frame, not the slide, barrel or breech. It is however bad gun shop etiquette to do such a maneuver on a gun you are looking at in the store. Those are the times you should slowly close it, and always ask before dry firing (in a safe direction of course).
Yeah I wouldn't do it to someone else's gun. Same with dry firing, won't hurt but always ask.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What is the reasoning for that concern? ...maybe would wear out some parts after doing this let say..1 million times?

I think there is a concern in letting the slide go full force in a firearm without a magazine and a round in the chamber specially some older rifles and pistols that might have a floating pin, like an M1A that can slam fire. But w/o a round in the chamber I do not see an issue. Also I do not see the any reason for doing that in a regular basis other than maybe a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It is however bad gun shop etiquette to do such a maneuver on a gun you are looking at in the store

Anything that you do with a firearm is bad etiquette w/o asking for permission first. It is not your firearm. Always asking and being careful, polite and considerate is the best approach.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I did it in a LGS a few months ago not realizing it was bad etiquette. The sales guy said not to do it because it freaks other people out in the store. Ok. <shrugs>

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I remember reading/hearing at some point that dropping the slide on an empty chamber in a 1911 can be detrimental to its trigger job?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I was also told that it's not good for the gun (glock 19) to let the slide forward by releasing the lock, and instead should pull it back the extra RCH and then let it go. I was not, however, told why

I find this to be odd because, with my glock anyway, if I slam a mag in the grip, the slide racks itself forward, pushing a bullet into the barrel (thus making it even faster to reload/shoot) and I was told that Glock designed this on purpose, so how could it be bad to "button hit/shoot" vs "smash/shoot"?

Perhaps this is a question that needs to go directly to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I find this to be odd because, with my glock anyway, if I slam a mag in the grip, the slide racks itself forward, pushing a bullet into the barrel (thus making it even faster to reload/shoot) and I was told that Glock designed this on purpose, so how could it be bad to "button hit/shoot" vs "smash/shoot"?
It's a by product of polymer guns in general, nothing that Glock designed special. I can even get some of my aluminum framed SIGs to do it if I slam the magazine hard enough.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What is the reasoning for that concern?
Some feel the metal on metal contact w/o the brass "cushion" could lead to damaging one of the parts. IMHO it's an unnecessary worry, the firing of the gun is putting a whole lot more stress on those parts than anything we can do by hand. As part of SIG's function check they tell you to release the slide with the stop and when the slide goes forward it should do it with enough force to jerk in your hand.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was also told that it's not good for the gun (glock 19) to let the slide forward by releasing the lock, and instead should pull it back the extra RCH and then let it go. I was not, however, told why

Perhaps this is a question that needs to go directly to the manufacturer?
I heard that before too, but believe that was confirmed to be FUD at the time. In fact, the Walther says to do it in the manual.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I was watching a YT video the other week on 1911 pistols where the person making video commented how they were getting a lot of comments being told not to let the slide slam forward without a round in the chamber. They ended up contacting Wilson Combat and they said that doing it once isnt going to do anything but that doint it a lot can cause some part to fail which would/could lead to a runaway pistol. Not sure if that could happen in non 1911's but a runaway pistol would not be fun lol.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Funny this should come up. I took a new guy to the range this afternoon (documented the story in the General Firearms forum), and the other gentleman there passed along the same "wisdom." I've always been told it was ok, and when the instructor of my NRA Basic Pistol class said it was ok, that was enough for me.

My (and his) logic was, nothing you can do to the gun is going to be more violent than what happens to it naturally when it is used the way it was meant to (firing). The recoil of a round firing, and the resulting working of the action, is going to make anything you can do to it look like nothing.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is fine and will not hurt any modern polymer pistol that I know of.

However, it is not suggested you do it often to a 1911, it beats up on the lugs and take down pin. It is called a slide stop for a reason. :)

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I have done a little reading and it seems the most that people can agree on is it can ruin a trigger job if you have had one done. I would be interested to hear if anyone calls a manufacturer though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts