New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some SKS rifles on Gun Broker. I can't believe the prices people are asking for these things now. I bought mine back in 1993 for 90 bucks! It's in just as good of condition as the ones on Gun Broker. I could actually make a profit if I sold it!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Almost every used firearm can be sold at a profit now.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Look at completed listings as well if you can. You can see what they are actually selling for compared to what sellers are asking. The prices are going up BUT that's not always good for the seller. Rising prices on guns like the SKS are pushing them out of the price range of some buyers. The market is alittle slow because of the increase in prices on used guns and many people are buying new guns. (at least that's what the owner of a LGS has been telling me since his business slowed right down to a crawl over the last two weeks) You may see the prices come back down alittle soon.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Look at completed listings as well if you can. You can see what they are actually selling for as compared to what sellers are asking.
the sks is becoming prized in places like ny and California for obvious attributes .... if given a choice of a ar with bullet button in 762x39 or a sks it not a tough choice
the russian sks seem to get near what a ak sells for

if you think gunbroker prices are bad, check the local swap sheets, people are asking and getting 300-500

as a fan of sks it does bug me but i do believe they are worth it
some of the most fool proof gun ever built
im kinda biased though since i own one i paid over 600 with after mods

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at completed listings as well if you can. You can see what they are actually selling for compared to what sellers are asking. The prices are going up BUT that's not always good for the seller. Rising prices on guns like the SKS are pushing them out of the price range of some buyers. The market is alittle slow because of the increase in prices on used guns and many people are buying new guns. (at least that's what the owner of a LGS has been telling me since his business slowed right down to a crawl over the last two weeks) You may see the prices come back down alittle soon.
Talking about prices coming down...I just bought a Mossberg 590A1 Mariner with the Marinecote finish (had it on layaway). A month or so after I put my money down on it, the price dropped by almost $100.00! Lucky me, I was locked in at the OLD price!

I won't get rid of my SKS. That's a fun rifle to shoot.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I traded away my Russian SKS 1954 Tula...I got great value out of the deal but I regret the space it left in the safe. I am missing that red wood.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
<3 my SKS. I paid $300 for it back in October and it's awesome to shoot. Even my gf thinks it's an awesome gun to shoot.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I paid 450 after taxes for a matching numbers 1955R Tula SKS, and just recently 400 for a Yugo, all matching with all the parts (the russian was lacking the bayo, cleaning rod and cleaning kit) and while cheaper may have been nicer, I feel that I paid a fair price for both, the SKS rifle is a very overlooked rifle and built like a tank, it has the same reliability as an AK in my opinion, with slightly better accuracy, and the accuracy fact has been proven.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Prices have gone up on them.
My best trade deal was a $39 shipped(from IOA) Russian M44 that I refinished the stock on that I swapped
for a 1954 Russian all matching SKS.
I did have many hours into the stock,and it was one, if not the nicest M44 I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
SKS prices have risen steadily over the years, and continue to hold their value. I got a really nice one off GunBroker in 2010. I could make a 10-15% profit on a resale today, easily. Firearms are some of the best investments one can make these days. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts