New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK - I'm venturing into an area of rifles which I am rather unfamiliar with and wanted to know if anyone has some pointers on 922r compliance.

I recently acquired a Chinese SKS, which I was going to leave in factory condition, but I'm now getting the itch to mod it out a bit. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the breakdown / cleaning / maintenance of the weapon and (through some research) determined that the manufacture year is 1978.

While reading through 922r compliance, I've found that even if the weapon was imported before 1989, it could only have parts replaced with same-configuration parts to avoid the "10 imported items" rule. For example, I could replace the stock but only with a fixed, non-pistol grip stock (what fun is that??).

So it looks like I'll be going off of a worksheet to keep my imported parts count to 10. I've purchased the Tapco stock (which counts as 3) and since it's not a Yugo, I only need 3 more parts to make it legal.

I was originally going to stick with the fixed box magazine, but I'm having trouble hitting the mark without replacing it. I know I could get a piston (1 part) and possibly a bolt (1 part) - but since the op-rod does not count, how is it possible to get to 10 without the replacement magazine?

It kind of seems like you have to make the weapon more "assault weapony" by adding a detachable mag just to make it legal. Since it's built in 1978, I'm not worried that it will conflict with the 1994 ban, but I just find it odd that I can't go with t a stock replacement only on this build.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Where did you hear that if prior to the 89 ban it had to stay int he same configuration?

Pre-1989 Import Ban is what is meant when we say Pre-Ban; til the 1994 AWB came out of course. Any item imported prior to the 89' ban is not affected by the rules of the ban, therefore do whatever your little heart is content with doing to it; short from chopping the barrel and other NFA considerations.

Atleast that is how I understood it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make more sense and I'm hoping that pre-ban is pre-ban without strings attached.
I got the info from: "Survivors" SKS FAQ

""
Can I replace parts on my "pre-ban" rifle?

Yes, but only with like parts. The following is directly from the ATF-346:

The comment was made that ATF should allow the replacement of broken or defective parts in any rifle or shotgun which had been legally imported into or assembled in the United States. Pursuant to this comment, the regulation has been revised to allow the replacement of damaged or defective parts on firearms which were lawfully imported into the United States or which were lawfully assembled prior to November 30, 1990, the effective date of section 922(r). For example, the regulation will allow for the replacement of a broken stock or pistol grip on a damaged semiautomatic AK-47 which was legally imported into or legally assembled in the United States. Further, a defective fixed shoulder stock of an SKS type rifle which was lawfully imported as a sporting firearm could lawfully be replaced with a fixed shoulder stock. On the other hand, the shoulder stock could not be replaced with a folding stock since the assembly of the SKS rifle with a folding stock would result in a firearm which would be nonimportable.
"""

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any further info on this? I've since built the SKS with a detachable mag setup, reducing the imported parts to 10 but I'm still interested if anyone is familiar with ATF-346 and its definition of 'identical parts'.

Also, for anyone else looking to modify with Tapco parts - they are very good quality but take your time with the fitting. It required some dremel work and a bit of patience. If you have trouble getting the trigger group to snap in, first remove the replacement gas tube (or original tube w/ housing). I had to shave the bottom tabs off to prevent it from pushing the stock down too far.

The plastic rail on the gas tube housing is seemingly useless (I don't know why you would mount an optic to anything other than the receiver) and I was able to cut to rails and sand it down flush. This also helped with the rear leaf sight, which I opened up a bit to make fast shooting easier. Yes.. I know it will in turn make distance shooting harder.

The mags feed well and I have read that it is recommended to keep them loaded for 72hrs to break in the springs (though I have never heard of the procedure).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts