New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Its pre ban, so you can put anything youd like on it. I had the same one on my old SKS, youll need to trim the pin a little after you put it on, but it worked good and looked great.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its pre ban, so you can put anything youd like on it. I had the same one on my old SKS, youll need to trim the pin a little after you put it on, but it worked good and looked great.
thank you kindly, did it stay as accurate? was it much louder?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Its pre ban, so you can put anything youd like on it.
Well, pre-ban has nothing to do with 922r compliance, so this statement is incorrect. However, a muzzle break is not considered a 922r violation requiring the corrective action of replacement parts. A flash hider is, a muzzle brake is not. In many cases when adding such a device it is important to consider how the state of NY defines which is which. There are plenty of other threads on that though, so I won't get into it as technichally the device you have pictured would be considered a muzzle break.

However, I would highly recommend against using that device, even if just the looks were the point. Reason #1: I have seen example after example of these simple pin on breaks becoming even slightly misaligned and wind up getting tagged by a round. Often sending the device downrange, spattering metal, and possibly damaging the firearm. I can't say if that particular device has tight enough dimensions to the muzzle diameter to have that happen , but either way that leads me into.. *drum roll here* Reason #2: It's a showpiece, and it doesn't do anything. Much the same principle as I discussed in a recent thread here of bushing comps on 1911s, the physics just aren't there. It's a little different in the case of the 1911 because of the tilt barrel design, but basically still this is a non chambered extension of metal with some holes on the top, thus there is no significant baffle and gas redirection. It's a cheapo useless part for mall ninjas that is actually potentially dangerous. My opinion, others may vary.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that adding a "REAL" muzzle brake would in fact be a 922 violation part; not because of the brake, but because of the threaded barrel.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone seen one of these ever become misaligned and blow off? im way to passive on those types of parts id rather avoid if it almost violates laws or will blow my eye socket out when some dirt gets in between it and barrel during season

its a shame not much useful stuff for sks as far as im concerned since i like 10 round mags, i love the stock since ive lightened it a bit with drill

sks is a great gun but i just wanted mine to stand out more (right now she is a locker queen) norico as issued with a pretty decent factory stock

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also from what i gather the main difrance between muzzle break and flash suppressor is that mb has whole about same size as barrel while flash suppressor has a larger than bullet diameter whole, based on the porting im guessing this will in fact broadcast the flash up and make it easier to see but i guess i wont find out

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
has anyone seen one of these ever become misaligned and blow off?
Personally.. no, I must be clear and admit that I have not seen it first hand with exactly that kind of part, but I've seen more than one messed up crown and downrange brake occur from this type of device Muzzle Brake Adapter AK-47 Steel Blue

Not exactly the same thing, I know. Having looked a bit closer at the John Masen version of a similar brake to what you have pictured, Chinese SKS Muzzle Brake it would appear on that one at least that the breach is far too open to really worry too much about that particular kind of failure. Again though , that being the case makes an even stronger case for the fact that it probably doesn't do much of anything useful. One thing I've always thought was interesting though, both in gun accessories and otherwise, is that often times if a user expects a result strongly enough, whether or not the laws of physics allow for it to happen , he might often experience said result to one degree or another.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah there is very little point if the opening is enlarged also that opens the flash suppressor possibility more

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a sks bull pup over summer and preffer its original stock over the bull design cog rifles dont do it for me, i preffer more classic lines

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mine did not loose any accuracy. The brake goes over the end of the barrel for 1/2" or more if I remember correctly. The pin replaces the factory pin in the front sight.

·
Registered
734 Posts
One other thing to know about them. They do not just slip on and off, it will take some force to get it on there, and will not be easily removable.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup finaly fired a nice ak74 style compensator/ break on a norinco my friend has

seems like its a win /win easier to keep on target when going fast and seemed very stable

it pins into front sight so do i have to weld it also? im pretty sure since its preban lock-tight and expanding the end will sufice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts