New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm realizing that having a CCW for me might be a little difficult. (granted I only applied so I could own a pistol for target shooting not really for CCW use) Anyone on here weigh 135 or less and carry a 1911? I'm trying to think of how I could manage to hide it in summer clothing. Winter wouldn't be difficult but summer however will be pretty tough. Normally I will wear a tank or t-shirt and cargo shorts. I guess I could just carry the kel-tec in a leg pocket but I just like the idea of the 1911 better.

Any suggestions on how to do it without being completely obvious? OWB holster is probably completely out of the question due to me being a twig haha. Probably could only manage to pull it off wearing it in an appendix position or possibly can somehow pull off a 4-5 o'clock.

How do you guys do it in the summer?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I pocket carry, but if you wore those big Hawaiian shirts you could get away with a 1911 lol. To do what you want you will have to wear big loose fitting shirts or go with pocket carry.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pocket carry, but if you wore those big Hawaiian shirts you could get away with a 1911 lol. To do what you want you will have to wear big loose fitting shirts or go with pocket carry.
I guess I'll just pocket carry hahaha. Me + Hawaiian shirt = extremely awkward...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Lol thats why I pocket carry in the summer lol. If you wear a longer shirt that is loose and is IWB then you might be able to pull it off but you will still probably print some. If you dont want to print at all the pocket carry, if you dont mind some printing then you might be able to carry your 1911.

Keep in mind when your checking to see if your printing you know where to look. A lot of people are in the general public dont pay close attention.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The clothing style and holster configuration should help. I am not into 1911's myself but I appreciate them and some are beautiful.

and gun size matters.. lol...

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I'm 5'7" 135lbs and either pocket carry a S&W 642 or use a CTAC w/ Glock 27. If I have the G27 I wear a Hawaiian shirt, I'm actually surprised I got beat to that suggestion. It was awkward for me too at first, but I'm a social pterodactyl (next step above a social butterfly) so I was able to make it work with my personality. Just pretend you're a skinny version of Sam Axe from Burn Notice.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Just pretend you're a skinny version of Sam Axe from Burn Notice.
I love that show!

I'm not skinny, but wearing loose fitting t-shirts that are a touch long works for me. Instead of a large, I have to wear an XL. If you can get away with it, wearing two shirts is even better.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 5'7" 135lbs and either pocket carry a S&W 642 or use a CTAC w/ Glock 27. If I have the G27 I wear a Hawaiian shirt, I'm actually surprised I got beat to that suggestion. It was awkward for me too at first, but I'm a social pterodactyl (next step above a social butterfly) so I was able to make it work with my personality. Just pretend you're a skinny version of Sam Axe from Burn Notice.
how far from socially awkward penguin is social pterodactyl? haha I'll see how well I could conceal the 1911. Still haven't gotten the permit though so this was more of a "what will I need to do" sort of thing. Most of my clothes are already pretty loose so I guess I'll either have to either A) eat a lot or work out and be able to get the next size up without seeming like I'm trying to be a ghetto kid or B) just not carry it unless I was going hiking or target shooting. Looks like I have an excuse to work out now.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I guess I am skinny, and I wear "skinny jeans". I carry a Glock 30 (.45) IWB near the small of my back and that works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might try a shoulder holster for it for "warm" weather (unbuttoned plaid button up shirt over a t-shirt or something) and for really hot weather I'll just pocket carry.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm going with the "Charlie Sheen 2 1/2 men" look. Those shirts are perfect for summer carry.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I dunno man... crazy, drunk, lazy, and desperate is no way to go through life.

:p
Ahhhh, but crazy, drunk, lazy, and rich is not half bad, or so I've come to believe :D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i am 5'10" and 113 lbs, right now my daily carry is a sig scorpion, in an owb. i do frequently carry a g19 the same way and also i will switch things up and carry one of my desert eagle 50's. summer is a little trickier but if i am just wearing a tshirt i usually go with either the lcr in my pocket or my s&w bodyguard iwb in the front. what i find tough is riding a motorcycle and carrying because even if my sweatshirt covers my gun while im standing around when im in riding position my shirts tend to work there way up. i was toying with the idea of sowing in a small magnet to the bottom seem of a tshirt and another in the back pocket of jeans but never got around to it.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Sigh... This thread is totally useless to me!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am 5'10" and 113 lbs, right now my daily carry is a sig scorpion, in an owb. i do frequently carry a g19 the same way and also i will switch things up and carry one of my desert eagle 50's. summer is a little trickier but if i am just wearing a tshirt i usually go with either the lcr in my pocket or my s&w bodyguard iwb in the front. what i find tough is riding a motorcycle and carrying because even if my sweatshirt covers my gun while im standing around when im in riding position my shirts tend to work there way up. i was toying with the idea of sowing in a small magnet to the bottom seem of a tshirt and another in the back pocket of jeans but never got around to it.
One of my old jackets actually had a little hook that would latch around your belt or if youre not wearing a belt it would latch around the belt loop.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
One of my old jackets actually had a little hook that would latch around your belt or if youre not wearing a belt it would latch around the belt loop.
yea ive seen stuff like that but i figured a magnet would be a quick release type thing. i wouldnt want to be in a situation where the hook gets stuck and i cant get to my pistol when needed

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
skinny people can't conceal, fat people can't conceal, regular people can't conceal.

Is it so hard to figure out? Buy bigger clothes or buy smaller guns.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea ive seen stuff like that but i figured a magnet would be a quick release type thing. i wouldnt want to be in a situation where the hook gets stuck and i cant get to my pistol when needed
Ahh good point. I was thinking more of hook it on when youre riding and then when you get off your bike just unhook it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts