New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Nice......instead of gutting in the field, maybe I will try one like that while hanging this year. Definitely keeps the dirt and whatever out while dragging back. Thanks for the link red tail!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would have so many open woulds on me if I went that fast.

I love that gambrel though, I might have to make one like that. It would eliminate that annoying spinning deer, probably makes quartering more productive.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Nice......instead of gutting in the field, maybe I will try one like that while hanging this year. Definitely keeps the dirt and whatever out while dragging back. Thanks for the link red tail!
I would still rather gut in the field, then I don't have a pile of them to deal with when I get home.

Plus we hang ours for a few days to age them a bit.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Was great until he kept stabbing the meat in hind quarters. No need for that.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
That's impressive. Took me like 35 minutes to skin my deer last year. We didn't have a fancy contraption to hang them from, but I may have to be resourceful and come up with something for my garage. That's IF I harvest anything near my residence this year.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Seems like as good a spot as any for the knife. I do the same.
I disagree, need to use both hands? Put it back in its sheath on your hip or on a table. Stabbing meat for no good reason is just lazy. Like idiots that throw their knives in the dirt while skinning or whatever... no respect there either. For the blade or for the harvest.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Was great until he kept stabbing the meat in hind quarters. No need for that.
I agree. Since we make roasts out of those, stabbing the hind quarters doesn't make sense. However, if you just grind it, then stabbing there would be fine.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Maybe I was sensitive to it BC I have a venison roast going on the crockpot right now. LoL

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
An old butcher told me there is no need to hang a deer for a few days like you do with beef. The enzymes in the fat between the muscle in beef breaks down the fiber and make it tender. Deer don't have fat between the tissue sio it doesn't help tenderize the meat at all. I never let mine hang. I usually get started processing the same day I harvest them, sometimes I have to finish the next day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.