New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the actual pratical use for a single shot shot gun, I am asking more out of curiousity than anything...

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Ny safe act

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Pheasant.jpg

Same as any other shotgun, but cheaper and lighter than any other style.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Stealth.......I assume you are a good shot... ?? One shot, one kill.....!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I think reliability and simplicity are other completely reasonable factors as well.

A single shot has so few moving parts that your chances of breaking something crucial to operation are at least somewhat minimized. They're basically just a barrel and a firing pin; with a simple method of manipulating that pin. It's also simple, to the point of being immediately obvious, to diagnose and repair should anything go wrong.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
They are a cheap basic gun. If you have a break action 12 you can get adapters to fire 11 different calibers. It can be the perfect survival weapon, light weight and versatile. I got my son a break action .357 mag to train him how to shoot, the single shot, break action is IMO is the perfect platform to teach novice shooters the art of marksmanship.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Future-proofing for NY-SAFE v2.0. :(

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have 12 gauge in Semi auto, pump, double and single shot.. and by far my favorite is the single shot.
It weight almost nothing and is super fun to shoot. Using the same ammo it kick more than a Semi-auto or a pump auction. With heavy shot it can be brutal. So they may not be for the faint of hart.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just curious, I don't think one will make it into my personal gun cabinet as I have a 12 gauge pump and a 20 gauge double barrel which I think meet all of my personal shotgun needs...unless of course I happen to win a Remingtoon versa max at a gun raffle I am going to in the near future...

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
If you were back packing into an area to hunt the break down capability might be a benefit.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have a single shot in each shotgun cal, hopefully 10ga soon. They are simple, they break down pretty small with 1 screw. Reliable as the ammo.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I need to get a good ole double barrel shotgun one of these day... and not because biden said so ;)...

I have an old winchester .410 that I got as a kid from my father but I haven't used it in over 20 years.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not a hunter my weapons/fire arms are for defense and target shooting and because I like them lol. I am saving up for a another weapon in the near future as per a post in another forum it will be a rifle that could potentially be used for deer hunting if I want to but will also be fun to target shoot with...I am interested in learning about and discussing all platforms...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
last season got my two deer with a single shot 45-70.
For this year I'm planing on using this 308..

IMHO unless you are hunting a dangerous animal with a chance of close encounter, a single shot is all you should need to bring home some meat. If you need a second shot, mind as well stay at home!

*except upland.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
alot of the heavy caliber dangerous game guns are double barrels. take the h&h double rifle in .375h&h magnum... they use them for the reliability.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Super reliable, super light and not much maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
I have a Winchester 20 ga. that was my very first gun. In October I will have owned it 50 years. Single shots are reliable, fun, effective hunting and target guns. Mine has taken numerous grouse squirrel, rabbit, crow, and one turkey. They are truly great, simple, reliable guns that last a lifetime.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts