New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to get a pocket gun in 380 for a while now but have been hesitant since if never shot any.... until today.

A buddy of mine just picked up a S&W bodyguard and a LCP and brought them over to shoot. Both guns felt ok in my hand but I could just not get used to the trigger pull on either gun.

So i was wondering what my options are and your experiences with single action pocket guns in either 380 or 9mm

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
536 Posts
Others might have more info, but I don't think there are many SA .380s out there. The best you'll probably do is a DA/SA like the Bersa Thunder .380 which if you carry cocked but on saftey would be SA on the first pull (DA if the hammer is down).

Keep in mind that most of the "mouse guns" liek the ones you mentioned are DAO (double action only) as a saftey. You do NOT want your only saftey to be a light SA trigger or it introduces more risk of the gun going off unintentionally.

Personally, I've had the same problem with the small DAO guns, and I'm currently looking into the Taurus 709 slim because it's SA/DA. It's cocked when a round is chambered, and SA at that point. If for some reason the round doesn't fire, you can pull the triigger again (DA) and fire it. However, I can't say this gun is great, or perfect for you since I don't yet own it. I'm probably 3-4 months out from buying one, if I do at all.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Others might have more info, but I don't think there are many SA .380s out there. The best you'll probably do is a DA/SA like the Bersa Thunder .380 which if you carry cocked but on saftey would be SA on the first pull (DA if the hammer is down).
uhhhhh, disregard that statement entirely. a bersa thunder cannot be carried cocked and locked. i know because i have one. the safety lever disengages the trigger when the hammer is down and decocks when the hammer is up; in other words, no cocked and locked. the only SA .380 i can think of offhand is the sig p238, which is also going to be available with a new model designation (p938) at some point according to gun mags and advertisement, though i wouldn't hold your breath (unless you've found a sig p224 dealer near you).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the correction, I only saw it was spec'd as a DA/SA pistol when I looked into buying one. I don't own one, so trust the guy that does.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I used to have an AMT Backup in .380 ACP that was single action. It had a thumb and grip safety and carried cocked and locked. It was a pretty good shooter, never had any malfunction problems. Traded it for a KelTec P380 because of the lighter weight.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Problem I see (and have) with SA pocket gun is being able to effectively spur the hammer back w/o requiring both hands.
There are many folks who can't manipulate thier thumb in a way neccisary to both hold and cock the hammer on a small gun.
Or, if you can do it, making sure it happens after fully clearing the pocket rather than halfway out in the excitement and risking popping one in your own leg, or, completely inside the pocket leaving your hand in such a position to not even allow you to get that hand, let alone the gun, out of the pocket. (think golf ball in a mason jar)

Depending on how one feels about it, the safety would also need to be manipulated,
I would't trust non-safety interlocked exposed hammers/lack of firing pin block in a handgun that stands a pretty fair chance of being dropped onto the gound and hitting hammer first, which will potentially touch off the round. Like the old cowboy guns basically, but no option to leave the hammer down on a empty cylinder.
This means both safety and hammer would need to be manipulated while trying to clear the pocket, which is already difficult enough, moreso if you're trying to sidestep or whatever simultaiously.
Lotta steps = lotta potential to miss one of do it in wrong sequence IMO.

DA/SA would definitely be a wiser choice as all that (normally) would be required is wiping the safety.
Something not so thought process intensive as spurring a hammer, and much more condusive to assuming a good safe grip on the gun.
Most have a hammer or firing pin block tied in wirth it to help prevent the drop fire issue.

As to first shot trigger pull, if you're whipping it out to use as a SD device, I can pretty much guarentee the last thing on your mind will be how funny the DA pull feels. You won't even know it, and really the bigger concern over trigger pull is to actually stop doing it once the gun is empty.
Lotta folks wil just spaz and pull, pull, pull until they finally realize that the last 8 pulls did nothing but go 'click' or doing nothing at all if a slide locks

The lomger heavier pull also helps cut down chances of an early discharge while drawing.
Big difference between a long, higher pressure pull compared to a short touchy pull in the respect that the mechanicals alone are radically different.
The DA action is going to be inherantly a bit slower to first shot than SA. That 1/10th second can make all the difference between a good shot and one in the dirt 3' in front of you.

Another aspect of the SA is akin to trying to rack a slide for a 1st shot while under attack.
No one is going to give you an extra second to get it done.
If they are on you the last thing you want to dois partially release your grip. If they are not on you, the odds are higher that they will be by the time you're done frigging with it.

Yes, all ofthe above can be reconciled or made moot by practice, but that practice would be WAY many more cycles than most people would even consider trying to do.
Not talking tens or hundreds of repititions, but thousands.
Then you gotta work out how it works with different pants or shirt tucked or not, etc.
This all leads to people stopping when they think they hit 'good enough' level, at which point they don't bother practicing that part any more, ever.
They'll take it casually out of thier pocket at the range, burn 1/2 a box of ammo working on thier slow fire accuracy at 10 yards and call it a day. :shrug:

I will say that the Bersa thunder 380 is indeed a good choice for a DA/SA SD pocket gun, though I would prefer the magazine/trigger interlock was at least optional.
I'm no longer around one, but had no complaints when I was. Feed it decent ammo and practice, practice, practice ALL aspects from draw through reload, not just how far away you can sorta hit a silluette with your 2 1/2~3" barrel from.
If anything, learn how to hold the muzzle against the abdomen area of a target with a sight to radical upward muzzle cant without fouling or malfing, because that's vastly more likely where you're gonna be at when the first round pops when compared against the 10yard version.

As always, just my take on things and not gospel.
YMMV, skillsets will alter results,etc., etc...

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
With the sig P238 its locked and loaded with hammer back. If we both have time off and you want to stop by GCL you could try out my P238 to see if its something your interested in.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Colt mustang in 380 here, although to be honest i carry my LCP in the pocket more, at the short range(3-10feet) we may be using these pistols at, the trigger pull is a minor consideration in my opinion. I can shoot both quickly and combat accurately at that distance.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Single action cocked and locked does not belong in the pocket. I like simple doa or striker fire for pocket carry. Also pocket guns MUST be in a holster that covers the trigger. That is my strong opinion.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As to first shot trigger pull, if you're whipping it out to use as a SD device, I can pretty much guarentee the last thing on your mind will be how funny the DA pull feels. You won't even know it, and really the bigger concern over trigger pull is to actually stop doing it once the gun is empty.
Lotta folks wil just spaz and pull, pull, pull until they finally realize that the last 8 pulls did nothing but go 'click' or doing nothing at all if a slide locks
I agree that in a SD situation I wouldn't notice the harder trigger of a DA. But one of the reasons id like to stay away from a DA is if i want to do some range shooting with id like to enjoy it. To me DA's in a pocket gun is very unenjoyable and maybe even a little frustrating.
With that said I would not be opposed to something in DA/SA.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the sig P238 its locked and loaded with hammer back. If we both have time off and you want to stop by GCL you could try out my P238 to see if its something your interested in.
Thank you for the offer! I might have to take you up on it sometime. I have usually over look the Sigs because of the price. But next time i'm in a LGS that carry's them i will have to check them out.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
The safety on the P238 is very positive. It clicks on and takes a good amount of force (enough where IMO it wont accidentally come off) to take the safety off. I keep mine in a pocket holster which covers the safety. I admit at first I was nervous about it. Now I have no hang ups about it and it is very accurate IMO and a pleasure to shoot at the range.

They are more expensive but I am happy I got mine. Also its designed around the Colt mustang so I just bought mustang magazines (cheaper then sigs) and they work flawless in my pistol. Only other "pocket pistol" I have shot it the Kel tec pf9 in 9mm and it is not fun to shoot at all lol.

Not a problem, if you want to try it in the future let me know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts