New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be correct on saying that a thumbhole stock would mean that there would be a HOLE in the stock though both sides for a thumb to access and wrap around the grip?

I'm looking for a legal definition of a thumbhole stock.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I don't know the legal definition but I think you got the gist of it. There was some talk about what if there was an opening protruding into the hole thereby rendering the hole no hole at all lol. Good luck with that if that's where you're going with this...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks, that's a cheap way to put a hole in a hole to make it not a hole... that's technical and not what I was thinking. I will be heading down to the lumber mill this weekend to get a 8/4 chunk of something for a prototype.

I will be yielding what I am thinking a few weeks time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No such definition exists. You get to prove it's not a thumbhole at your trial.

Good luck!
I'll create it, and bring it for approval by the NYSP or whom ever is saying what is good or not. Can't hurt to try right? Maybe i'm not the next million dollar idea.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'll create it, and bring it for approval by the NYSP or whom ever is saying what is good or not. Can't hurt to try right? Maybe i'm not the next million dollar idea.
I applaud your innovation. Every finger stuck in the dictator's eye is good to go with me.

Call your new design the FUAC-15.

I want 3% for that, btw. Gross, not net. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
out of new gun laws brings one good thing. New innovation. that's for sure. It's America the free and free minded as well.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The OP has a point. What if you were able to make a grip that was a half-moon shape. you thumb and meaty part of your hand could rest in it and grip it, while your finger could still reach trigger. Im not good with photoshop or I would show what I am thinking

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I thought about that. It is doable. It is just a matter of using a shallower angle and making sure there is no hole through cut.
In then end it is up to anyone to demonstrate why that is a thumbhole and not for you to demonstrate why it is not.

But in the AK is not really needed...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
if you took that stock in the picture and used a band saw to cut a line right through to the hole... its not a hole anymore. I hate these laws with a passion but I love people thinking about ways to get around the law and prove they are worthless.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
is that ak stock legal?
Its a pistol grip with a stock attached to the bottom.....if some one feels like arresting you.

There currently no way to have something determined legal or illegal.

the best you can get right now is a verbal from the NYSP

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Like Ray indicated that is a tricky area because you are cutting a thumbhole so you have nothing to show as "compliant from factory".
Plus it is really a brutality to cut such nice wood work.
I don't know...

One before last....
Rhineland arms

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Its a pistol grip with a stock attached to the bottom.....if some one feels like arresting you.

There currently no way to have something determined legal or illegal.

the best you can get right now is a verbal from the NYSP
Or get arrested and prove in court it is legal. however, that isn't an option for most of us.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts