New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
hmmmmm. Then if thats the case then every county will be experiencing a long wait if that is true.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I feel bad for all of you trying to get your permits these days....I got mine,full carry back in 1983......It took me 5 weeks,and that seemed like a long time......Sad thing is you guys are paying the price for criminals actions....SMH

·
Registered
167 Posts
Apparently my permit application is currently on my county judge's desk, just sitting there in a two foot stack of other applications. It's great knowing that I'm the final stage of all this bureaucratic BS, but it pisses me off that my constitutional and civil right is being held up just because some guy doesn't feel like doing paperwork.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You are probably correct....And I am sure it cost you a hell of a lot more than it did me.....So here is a point......You walk in a store,gas station,etc.....How often do you get to leave those places with the goods without paying first ?? NEVER.....So they legally tie up your money as well....Hmmmmm ain't life grand.......:(

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't know how long there has been a delay in mental health checks, but one of my friends just received his CCW a week ago (in Madison), and he turned it in sometime around the middle of March, so that doesn't seem bad. Could be a recent thing though I guess. Still waiting for mine since April 4th. Hopefully it's not still in Albany!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dropped mine off in February (I'm in Rockland County) and it has been hung up at the Sheriff's office for the mental health check. Every time I call (every 2 weeks) that's where it's been.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
They've been short n the mental health office doing the checks for quite awhile now. Nothing new. For awhile they actually had ONE person doing the checks for ALL the counties in the state. They have since added some more people but there is still a backlog.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
That was the reason I was given as to why my permit took nearly 10 months to be approved in Niagara County (this was earlier last year)...mental health checks were apparently backlogged and causing 3-4 month delays.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just called our clerk here in Chenango County and she said the same thing about the delay. Mine has been in since May as well. She wouldn't tell me anything else and had a major attitude...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Read that today on po jo news. Sucks. Sorry this is in caps on my tablet cant change it for some reason. My friend is 2 months into his orange county permit. Same thing.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier for the licensing folks in each county to have access to the NYS Loony Bin Database (if such a thing exists?). Or is it some frumpy 58 year old woman in some windowless room in Albany with a bad back and a sh!t attitude going through filing cabinets between smoke breaks - one application at a time?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I submitted my application in Niagara county at the end of February 2012 and I received my full carry permit the last week of May 2012... so less than 3 months. The deputy that came to see me for my interview actually apologized for the delay stating that the county gave him a bunch of permits in the Lockport area during the time he was assigned the Wilson area for patrol. It made it difficult to get out to see everyone. After the interview it only took another 2 weeks before I got the permit.

Sorry to those that are waiting!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I love how with today's technology it take weeks? months? or more to "check" on mental health or criminal background. that crap should be instant.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
People who can pass NICS background checks shouldn't have to wait any longer than it takes to run the criminal check to buy a pistol to possess at their home or take to the range. Why are handguns treated so differently than long guns in NYS? Residents 21 and over can't even legally touch a pistol in NYS until they go through the long and arduous process of applying for CCW permits. Is the Gov't afraid someone is more apt to go on a shooting spree with a handgun rather than a rifle or shotgun (Tim Sullivan sure was)? There's just no logic to be found, unless of course you're a gang banger who wants to 1-up law abiding citizens.

Handguns should be treated no differently than long guns for ownership and possession. NYS has laws forbidding residents from driving around with loaded shotguns and rifles in their vehicles, so the same should apply to handguns owned by those who do not have CCW permits. This is the biggest point of contention that most have with overzealous NYS gun control laws (dates back to gangster Tim Sullivan, corrupt politician, who wanted to make sure that only he and his cronies could carry concealed). The fact that NYS still backs a law initiated by a corrupt gangster nearly 100 years ago is nauseating.

I understand why States may want more due diligence when approving their residents for Concealed Carry, most States do require licenses for CCW. In terms of preventing the ownership and possession of a handgun, there's just no excuse to treat that any differently than long guns. Yet repealing the Sullivan Act has been a nearly impossible task for any individual or group who tried to fight it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can tell you that in Dutchess County, there is a significant delay. I first handed in my paperwork back in Oct 2011. When I called to follow up 2 days later I made the appointment for fingerprinting etc. The first available day was May 16, 2012!!. From there they tell me 4-6 months. I called a week ago about the status and was told maybe December!! Don't know if it helps, but I sent a note to Nan Hayworth about the delay.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feel bad for all of you trying to get your permits these days....I got mine,full carry back in 1983......It took me 5 weeks,and that seemed like a long time......Sad thing is you guys are paying the price for criminals actions....SMH
We're paying the price for allowing the liberals to take over the state.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts