New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Sight it with slugs at 15 yards. Then pattern with your HD load starting at 3 yards and walking it out a couple of yards at a time until the first pellet leaves the paper.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Why slugs at such short ranges? Buckshot should pattern fine out to 40 yards in some cases. I must be weird. I shoot slugs at 50, 75 and 100 yards. Anything for HD distances is 00 or #4 buck.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Also, slugs from a bench will get old quick! Not many people have a shooting bench in their house to use for a HD situation! Shoot more without the bench.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, slugs from a bench will get old quick! Not many people have a shooting bench in their house to use for a HD situation! Shoot more without the bench.
All I'm talking about is a few rounds to sight a new gun in and make sure rounds are going on paper. I'm signed up for the MDTS class and am sure we will be shooting all day under a variety of simulated HD scenarios.

·
Registered
451 Posts
why not get those hd rounds from Winchester???? both buck and slug in one shell. as close to devastating as I have seen. Obviously it will not pattern like a slug or buck alone but it will knock the snot out of any uninvited visitors

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
why not get those hd rounds from Winchester???? both buck and slug in one shell. as close to devastating as I have seen. Obviously it will not pattern like a slug or buck alone but it will knock the snot out of any uninvited visitors
and the slug could potentially over penetrate and cause big problems!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
All I'm talking about is a few rounds to sight a new gun in and make sure rounds are going on paper. I'm signed up for the MDTS class and am sure we will be shooting all day under a variety of simulated HD scenarios.
Oh, then just get out and throw a few slugs off the bench and standing out to around 50 yards (in my opinion). Start at 10 then 25 then 50. Is the class slug, buck and some bird shot? I'm sure it's to far away for me to go to but I like shotgun courses!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
250 rnds bird shot, 50 00 and 20 slugs I believe...

I've taken his pistol and carbine classes before and most of the course is at much shorter distances 3 - 10 yrds. Haven't taken a shot gun class yet but am sure it is similar.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
250 rnds bird shot, 50 00 and 20 slugs I believe...

I've taken his pistol and carbine classes before and most of the course is at much shorter distances 3 - 10 yrds. Haven't taken a shot gun class yet but am sure it is similar.
Shotgun ammo is about all I can find enough of to take a course! Are you going to the one on the 21st? What shotgun you using?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
To be honest, I just put an LED flashlight under the barrel and at HD ranges (like say from my bedroom doorway to the front door) I know I just gotta put the spot of light a little lower then my target and I'll nail them, for instance, if I wanna gutshot you I just point the flashlight beam right at your nuts and squeeze the trigger.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where do I find these classes? Link please? What do they cost and are there any near Broome?
I'm going to MDTS in New Paltz but he runs classes in a bunch of different places. Cost for this class is $185 plus ammo (320 rounds). I've taken Chris Fry's classes before and they are excellent. Worth every penny and the drive IMO.

I took an RPD class in Greene but not sure if he runs a shotgun class or not.

Check out the vendor sections. There are a lot of vendors on here but not sure if they run training classes. They might have something closer to you.

With that said if you ever get a chance to take an MDTS class do it. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.