New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after completing conversion of my saiga .223 i am set on another gun..

I was originally looking at building an AR but decided I will wait till next tax return. as chances of ARs getting banned in 1 yr is a slim shot. whereas imported rifles would be easier to ban.

So im looking at saiga's again...

My problem is simply this... .308 or another .223

My current .223 is setup in dragunov style . and i was originally thinking i would get the .308 and move over the furniture and bring the .223 back to classic with wood.

the .308 round is better suited to long range accuracy and therefore the dragun setup.... then i look at ammo costs lol.. about 2x the cost of .223

now i am thinking that due to the cost of .308 i would be better off sticking with .223 for now untill i can afford my Ruger GSR and get into .308 town

that being said i would get a 16in .223 saiga and do a simple conversion with wood furniture and have my classic AK along with the longer range setup.

I spoke with Mete about this and he schooled me on the merits of the .308 saiga but for now I am thinking I should hold off on getting into the .308 caliber.

so really i am just looking for some others thoughts... I dont have the money to consistently shoot a .308 and feel a semi .308 should be left for my later years when i have extra cash flow and reloading equipment.

so what do you all think? do i have a sound plan?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Well if you are going to shoot Russians puffins of an AK47 you can also shoot 308Win. steel puffins. They are not as consistent but they offer the extra insurance.
Think of it this way... if you go and shoot lets say 100 rounds of AK47 puffins then only shoot 70 or 80 of steel puffins of 308... Anyway it is not the type of round you want to be spraying holes with like some 22LR maniacs I see.

Get into accuracy shooting, even with modest goals the fruits of the challenge are far more rewarding than the non sense high volume shooting. I mean unless you are shooting and training for drills and the 308w is just too much. You will find out the biggest challence is not the target or the rifle but one's mind.
Also do not think of an AK as in investment other than fun.

So talk to the guy in the mirror and see if you can understand that guy. I am still working on it myself. LOL!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts