New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Felt like I wanted to change up my carry setup and replace my S&W Shield 40.

Took the P938 and Solo out to try them side by side. The Sig won over the Kimber before I even shot it after shooting Kimber. Sig shot great. The Kimber shot well also. I like the feel of the Sig the best. I only got one magazine through the Kimber before the grip screw bushings came apart and the left side grip fell off. I really like the trigger on the Kimber. The lack of night sights, one magazine and a soft case from Kimber is a let down since the Sig wasn't that much more and came with night sights a pocket trigger guard, hard case and two magazines. Really let down by the grip failure. I read of some issues with early generations of the Solo's. I seemed to notice more positive reviews with the newer generation so I gave it a try.

Well tomorrow I'm going to start carrying the Sig full time. I'm going to run some of the actual defense rounds through it at the range from some of the standard stuff I put through it today. The P938 is really a great firearm all around.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Buy the Shield in 9mm. Now you have a defense gun that will shoot like you are used to shooting. Why "change up" its not a game.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This from the Kimber website was a deal breaker for the Solo, my 938 eats anything.

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION
Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP
While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy the Shield in 9mm. Now you have a defense gun that will shoot like you are used to shooting. Why "change up" its not a game.
I have other reasons for moving on from the Shield platform as I have had both the 9 and 40 versions. I will say the Sig P938 is far superior to that of the Shield.

This from the Kimber website was a deal breaker for the Solo, my 938 eats anything.

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION
Solo is designed to function optimally using premium hollow-point self-defense factory ammunition with bullet weights of 124 or 147 grains.

EXAMPLES INCLUDE:

• Federal® Hydra-Shok® JHP
• Remington® Golden Saber™ HPJ
• Hornady TAP® JHP
While other ammunition may perform well, lighter bullets and inconsistent pressures that can be found in lower-quality ammunition may lead to decreased slide cycle time and compromise function.
I know they have ammo they recommend using with it but regardless of ammo the grip bushing should not separatye and have the grip literally fall of the firearm in my hand. I found that to be just flat out pathetic coming from a manufacturer like Kimber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts