New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say I'm much of a "prepper" although I am relatively prepared not for the fear of SHTF but because my hobbies such as camping, love for shooting sports ect I already have the supplies I would need. I do find it very odd that most preppers disregard rule number one when it comes to surviving. COMMUNITY, I see allot of posts on how everyone has what they need to provide for there family and whether they will hunker down or take off to the mountains. Its a Nobel Idea but man kind has not survived because we do things as individuals but because of COMMUNITY.

Having what you need is great but what will truly help people thrive is banning together. We already have precedent to show what a unified community can do post Katrina, When certain units entered communities who had band together they where we'll aware that they where not the defining factor in keeping peace, especially if they started to impose apon the community, the same would apply too those looking to cause chaos. They wouldn't have a chance against a unified community.

The notion that one man will protect his family is very Nobel but realistically going the distance on your own especially if you have a wife and kids in tow isn't realistic.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
someone smart would have a network set up with a group of 5-10 people.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Law Enforcement Officers have a tough job, no doubt. But there is only so many of them and they will usually be busy protecting the "important" things. Guess that Heller decision is really applicable for self defense...... Just imagine what would happen if you could not protect your home (Ferguson anyone?)

Neighbors Team Up To Provide Security

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you have not already read the story of Selco and his experience in Bosnia, it's a good read. He agrees that you need to be in a group -

"And from my expirience, you can not survive alone, strength is in the numbers, be close with your family, prepare with them, choose your friends wisely and prepare with them too."

A Survival Q & A: Living Through SHTF In the Middle of A War Zone
Interesting read focusing on survival in an urban environment, sounds like Beirut '74-78 or any urban war zone. It ain't pretty and no one knows how low someone will sink to stay alive

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Selco explains everything in pretty good detail . It's a good read to get pretty much started if you live in a city enviorment . We live in the bush so it's pretty normal here without much help ! ( I don think the cavelry will be stopping by anytime soon in a SHTF situation) I'm guessing that we are on our own in SHTF when it anyways so stash what ya need cause it's coming quick !

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Selco explains everything in pretty good detail . It's a good read to get pretty much started if you live in a city enviorment . We live in the bush so it's pretty normal here without much help ! ( I don think the cavelry will be stopping by anytime soon in a SHTF situation) I'm guessing that we are on our own in SHTF when it anyways so stash what ya need cause it's coming quick !
I can only ponder the outcome of a true SHTF, and I mean a true real deal kind..but id bet my all my prepps and most of ammo, that there aint gonna be a cavelry racing to anyone..the LEOs and the whoevers aaaallll have family and kids and older parents too..the badge and uniform will be stripped down to the normal civilian just trying to survive for his and his own..

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
In a "true" SHTF situation, Police will be looking out for their own families and properities. pay attention to what Selco says about the total breakdown societyand in a similar situation here, it will grow from the urban areas to the countryside

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It is true to a point about police and their families. My wife and I have these discussions about where duty to your job ends when your duty to your family begins. If another 9/ 11 happens, she wants me home. For the most part , she is going to have to do a lot because short of total long term SHTF , I'll be at work. Remember about half the New Orleans cops abandoned their jobs during Katrina but also about half reported for work despite their personal losses or worries about their own families.

but I know that other cops in the area will go the extra mile to help her and my kids like I would do the same for cops families in my area.

When my uncle was in the army during the Cold War and stationed in Europe he was tasked with he felt the most important job of all if the balloon when up. It was his job to evac the miltary families of the servicemen stationed over there.
cops do look at out for each other and our families because frankly we can't count on anyone else to. This not to say there aren't supporters from the public but as a whole we can't count on them ( as a group, not as individuals).
i remember that during 9/11 that some 9/11 families were complaining that we had things set up for our families and not for theirs, not realizing( I assume) that we have been forced to create those services for ourselves and cops in the past out of prior need on many occasions each year before 9/11 and many years since 9/11. These things were already set up for us and running because sadly our families face the"personal disaster" all to often.
Most cops would give cops families preference over the general public but to a point . And many of us will because the "man" of the house is doing his duty like us and hopefully he is doing the same ours while we aren't there.

During the gas shortages after the power outage due to the storms, we were allowed to buy gas from the department 's gas tanks and got preference on the gas lines. Why. They knew if we couldn't get gas we weren't coming in to work. It wasn't free but to be able to go to the head of the line was a big important plus. Especially since in the beginning when everyone else got to stay home, we had to drive in. National guard, EMTs first responders, doctors ,nurses, etc got similar treatment.

Now that I said that , I don't think you are going to see to many cops taking much from people for self gain. He might for " the group" " liberate" things of necessity as was done on 9/11. Bottled water from half destroyed stores and passed out to surviviors as an emegency messure. And yes, you would see some cops embarrass the badge and all of us at some point. Katrina is the exception because NOPD was considered by many to be the most corrupt department in the nation before Katrina .

i think any problem with the police would be from taking stuff to give to the group as pointed out in the book " dies the fire" in attempt to do good .

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
If physical fitness ain't first, it's a very close second. I need to get my ass to the gym right pronto!
fitness/weightlifting has been a way of life for me since I was 17, now 41. the only time I have exercised since then is if I had a sports related injury (which does happen often)... at least once a year id end up out for a couple months due to strains, sprains, tears, tendonitis, etc... when I was younger it was about being big and strong for many reasons, but prepping wasnt one of them. keeping myself fit now is about being heatlhy to play with my kids, and being prepared in case shtf... its a hell of a lot harder to keep fit with a full time job and family(not to mention being 41), but its important.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
If physical fitness ain't first, it's a very close second. I need to get my ass to the gym right pronto!
Bench pressing cases of ammo is a win-win activity.

·
Registered
399 Posts
How many here actually have multiple route to walk home from their job's? Winter/summer routes, preparations, protection?
I know walking time from my job home is 20+ hours at a normal walking speed.
2+ day to get home, can I do it? I sure as hell hope so in an EMP type event and nothing is drivable.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
How many here actually have multiple route to walk home from their job's? Winter/summer routes, preparations, protection?
2+ day to get home, can I do it? I sure as hell hope so in an EMP type event and nothing is drivable.
I do. But have peeps closer to work than home, so likely first stop would be there to grab a bike ( assuming weather permits).

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
my current jobsite location is 2 days walk, 45 miles, 22.5 miles a day, walking for about 10-12 hours each day.

my furthest location is 72 miles (3 days), over a major bridge so ill be using a RR bridge (train bridge). regardless, i have to get through the bronx, and in a shtf scenario it wont take long for gangs to set up blockades. be the gray man. im ready.

who keeps a gethome bag in their car with 3 days of basic supplies? anyone keep a comfy pair of walking/running shoes? i do.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Wish I could remember the name of the book about Argentina's collapse. Argentina is a modern country, not some backward third world outpost. It is very chilling, and yes networking and forming your own community is important for your protection and survival. Those most vulnerable were living out in the country and were preyed upon by gangs, sometimes led by police, sad to say True, but id did happen. Folks were robbed, torchered, the women raped, and murdered for no other reason than the apparent amusement of the perpetrators. I can see how a man well versed on survival could succeed, but with even just one person depending on you for protection, you need a community of like minded people. Pray it never happens!
Robin

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
my current jobsite location is 2 days walk, 45 miles, 22.5 miles a day, walking for about 10-12 hours each day.

my furthest location is 72 miles (3 days), over a major bridge so ill be using a RR bridge (train bridge). regardless, i have to get through the bronx, and in a shtf scenario it wont take long for gangs to set up blockades. be the gray man. im ready.

who keeps a gethome bag in their car with 3 days of basic supplies? anyone keep a comfy pair of walking/running shoes? i do.
I do. Enough to sleep out in the elements (tarp and wool blanket, bazillion ways to make fire, etc)

Wish I could remember the name of the book about Argentina's collapse. Argentina is a modern country, not some backward third world outpost. It is very chilling, and yes networking and forming your own community is important for your protection and survival. Those most vulnerable were living out in the country and were preyed upon by gangs, sometimes led by police, sad to say True, but id did happen. Folks were robbed, torchered, the women raped, and murdered for no other reason than the apparent amusement of the perpetrators. I can see how a man well versed on survival could succeed, but with even just one person depending on you for protection, you need a community of like minded people. Pray it never happens!
Robin
This one? The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse: Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre: 9789870563457: Amazon.com: Books

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am fubar if TSHTF big time while I am at work. I have planed it out over and over in my head but the reality is I am on average 75 to 80 miles from home every night and on occasion further. My only saving grace is it is night. My biggest hurdle is being down in the chity. If I am at a job site in Manhattan or the Bronx it isn't near as bad as if I am in Queens or Brooklyn which just adds to the amount of water and people between me and my family. Once across the Hudson it is a long haul but I know I would make it the problem may be getting across the Hudson or worse the sound or east river or Harlem River then the Hudson. I have considered a small inflatable kept in the trunk but the other wild card is the tides and currents a small inflatable would not be fun I imagine. Think Hells gate in a inflatable dingy :ack:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts