New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I would stay away from modern cars. anything breaks and you are SOL. Rebuild a car or truck with points and bearings that have to be greased instad of sealed bearings. Avoid fuel injection and other options that are hard to fix without parts or computers.

Best bets would most likely be older 4 wheelers and motorcycles with 2 stroke engines or VWs with aircooled engines.

G

·
Now that we're on the subject, lets talk about a EMP. What's the mode of transportation then? Will all cars be rendered disabled or just those running at the time?

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Actually, most cars will withstand it. They might stop when the EMP strikes, but will likely just be reset and start up again. Older cars probably won't even be affected.

Cars from say the 90's through the early 2000's had pretty primitive computer systems, and are designed to withstand voltage and amperage spikes, like when your alternator takes a crap. You might lose the radio or something, but I bet a lot of them will still be good to go.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Now that we're on the subject, lets talk about a EMP. What's the mode of transportation then? Will all cars be rendered disabled or just those running at the time?
My understanding is all nonshielded electronics (Faraday Cage) will be disrupted. Which is why a car with points, stick shift and carburator should be good, replace the points coil, and laternator the push start it and you are good to go. Of course you will have no lights but who cares.

· Registered
1,841 Posts
I'd imagine the points would be fine, but any ignition coil is going to be at risk. Same with the starter solenoid. Any electronics are going to be at risk, depending on how intense the pulse is.

A diesel vehicle may survive a little better, as there's no coil for ignition, but they still do rely on other electronics.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
I would prefer either a diesel or a carbed pickup truck. Both are easy to run on other forms of fuel. Diesel you can put motor oil, veggie oil, bio diesel, and even used ATF. The carbed pickup can run on wood gas.

Plus most cars themselves act as Faraday cages. Even the computers themselves have a pretty solid design to them that would keep the internals safe.

· Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't understand how a starter or alternator would be affected. It's copper wire wrapped around with magnets, I can understand anything with a capacitor or circuit boards. The issue with modern cars would be the computer systems, anything late 90's and up probably won't run, mass airflow sensors, ignition modules, etc would pop, not letting them start. Early to mid 90's would have ignition modules which would be damaged and that would make them dead as a door nail. Effectively this, you would need something with our an ignition module, that would be the plan, I would say diesel would be the way to go, a early to late 70's diesel truck (1ton) would do it.
If there was to be a shtf auto, you need something that can be effective in all terrian, heavy to blow through road blocks, tall enough to be able to drive over prospective dead bodies with out getting stuck, and tough enough to with stand multiple blows to the front corners yet still able to maneuver after . This leads me to think a truck or suv in the late 70's early 80's with a plow on the front. Probably a v plow of sorts. Diesel for the added bonus of being able to run on just about everything, and the torque it has. Also the lack of crush points on the front end will keep it driving longer. I would say keep a pair of Tim snips and a crowbar, and some old school tire tubes with you, nothing worse then getting a flat and having to ditch a ride. If you have tubes your tire can be effectively damaged by you should still be able to drive a reasonable distance before it breaks down, I wouldn't suggest high speeds. With that being said a large truck, deuce + I don't think would be good, it would pin you in when things get too tight.

Just my 2 cents

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I'm just gonna fire up my Sherman Tank.....That outta work well for me,until the Zombies show up in German King Tigers that is,then I might have a wee bit of trouble.....SMH.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Old non electronic ignition vehicles will run when EMP is set off. No computer to fry. ;) I have heard others talk about this before but wasn't really paying attention as I don't know much about EMP's and what they can/will do, but if it can affect a computer in a car, then the older cars/trucks stated previously will be ready to roll. I mentioned that to them as they were all worried about the newer cars and they went and bought an old beater. LOL My choice would be an old Chevy full time 4wd truck, even though I'm partial to Mopar, because the parts are everywhere and cheap as it is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.