New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a shotgun with no forethought then decided i want to go turkey hunting with it next month. The only problem is it has a fixed improved cylinder choke, so not ideal for turkey hunting. I took it out to pattern it, but I dont know what would be considered good enough to ethically kill a turkey. I was aiming at 2" stick on targets put on a box and out to roughly 15-20yrds i consistently put atleast 5 pellets(number 4 shot) into the 2" circle. i know the more pellets the better, but how many pellets hitting a turkey head/neck sized target would be minimum to be considered ethical?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Typically from what I've heard that aprox 30 yards you should have over 100 pellets in a 10" circle. Ethically, since you have to ask it sounds like you don't have the right setup. What kind of gun are you using right now?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Not even close to being effective. Turkey's are tough as hell. You need a lot of pellets in a very tight group.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
can your gun shoot 3'' mags ? if so try # 6 that should put more in 10'' @ 30yds with enough power to nock'um Down .
still not shure if your going to get close to 100 pellet count with that barrel try patterning it see what ya get

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with New Yorker, if you get that turkey in range and he fly's away after you shoot leaving you with the thought of""WHAT THE HELL"" you'll wish you had purchased a gun with screw in chokes. But on the other hand if you get them within 20yrds(open area) with #6's you might just get lucky. Good luck !

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have you looked in to buying another barrel with screw in chokes. Turkey hunting with an IC just isn't a good idea. You don't want to put a couple pellets in one and have it fly off and not find it, you want to put a crap load in the head and neck and drop him on the spot.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Justin-Gun only takes a 2 3/4" shell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts