New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
FYI, with the new legislation a number of gun shops have decided not to sell long guns to out of state residents (NY), unless the firearm is shipped to an FFL in NY. They are saying it’s less of a hassle than having to sort thru the BS law, which could hold them accountable.

Its one thing if you can’t get the gun you want and can only find it out of state, but if you’re looking to get a better deal, forget it. The added NICS checks, at point of purchase and then again when you pick it up in your home state, along with shipping, will add to whatever savings you thought you’d have.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Exactly what is meant by reciprocity between NY and PA. You can, but other than the 3 states you have to ship via a FFL.
theres no law that I am aware of that prevents me from say, buying a shotgun in California, and driving it to NY. You do not need a permit for said shotgun nor any form of "reciprocity", so if I pass the NICS in New Mexico, I am free to drive it myself to my residence. Handguns are another story, but not long guns.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well kind of. NY accepts PA, CT and NJ in the reciprocity law. You are not supposed to from other states and it’s technically then an unregistered firearm.
NY residents can not buy and take possession of any firearm or ammunition without a non resident permit in CT. It needs to be sent to an FFL in NY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NYS Penal Law section 265.40

265.40 Purchase of rifles and/or shotguns in contiguous states.
Definitions. As used in this act:
1. "Contiguous state" shall mean any state having any portion of its
border in common with a portion of the border of the state of New York;
2. All other terms herein shall be given the meaning prescribed in
Public Law 90-618 known as the "Gun Control Act of l968" (18 U.S.C.
921).
It shall be lawful for a person or persons residing in this state, to
purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle and/or shotgun in a contiguous
state, and to receive or transport such rifle and/or shotgun into this
state; provided, however, such person is otherwise eligible to possess a
rifle and/or shotgun under the laws of this state.

Whether or not they will sell it to you is another issue entirely.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The "contiguous state" provision of the GCA of 1968 was amended in 1986 and essentially discarded. At the federal level, a person may now purchase a long gun in any state so long as they do so in person, and every aspect of the sale fully comply with the laws surrounding gun sales in both states. Here is a blurb from a 2002 ATF newsletter that explains some of this:

The phrase “contiguous state” no longer has meaning under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended. Nevertheless, it continues to confuse many long-time firearms dealers, especially when residents of other States visit their gun shops. For those who may not be familiar with this phrase, it appeared in the GCA prior to 1986. The “contiguous state” exception allowed FFLs to sell long guns to residents of contiguous states if the purchaser’s State of residence permitted such sale by law and the sale complied with the legal conditions of sale in both States. A State was “contiguous” to another State if it was adjacent to (bordering) that State. For example, Georgia and Alabama are in fact both contiguous to Florida, and the GCA formally recognized this and similar relationships.

In 1986, certain amendments to the GCA rendered the phrase “contiguous state” obsolete and
without meaning for firearms dealers. Since 1986, licensed firearms dealers have been allowed
to sell a long gun over-the-counter to an unlicensed resident of any State, provided (1) the
purchaser is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm under the GCA,
and (2) the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in the buyer’s
and seller’s States.
As for § 265.40 of NY Penal Law, note that it is not prohibiting anything. It only makes it explicitly clear that a person may obtain a shotgun or rifle in a contiguous state. In other words, this is a pointless section of the law... akin to a law that allows a person to breathe. Stating that something is legal to do does not establish an inherent/implicit prohibition on any actions - that's just not how laws work, though there is always someone who will try to tell you otherwise.

In other words, currently, it is legal for a NY resident to purchase any long gun in any state, so long as the transaction fully complies with gun sales laws in both states. I do not know how the upcoming changes to the law will impact this.

Reactions: Don_P and Vicarious

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, convenience, loophole, etc, of purchasing a long gun or shotgun in PA, as an out of state resident is coming to an end. As these new NY laws came into effect, many, most FFL’s will no longer sell over the counter to NYS residents. Some…will sell, but you must have the firearm shipped to a NYS FFL dealer. Sign of the times friends.

Seriously, if you haven’t yet, start planning your escape from NY. It’s only getting worse and not just for 2nd amendment issues. Stay Healthy My Friends…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts