New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First post here after being a lurker on the forums for a while.

With all the crazy stuff going on in the world today and the increase in crazies walking into any old place and shooting up the joint,
my coworkers and I and the boss have been thinking of keeping a shotgun concealed at our office front desk reception area.

The question is, does anyone know of laws or rules that would prevent a business owner from keeping a legal shotgun handy in their place of business for protection?

The business is in the Town of Colonie, Albany County.

Would certainly appreciate any thoughts on the matter!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if the owner of the the business is ok with it, there should be no issue.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
It'd really depend on the type of business. When you say reception area, it immediately makes me think some office building where little to no cash is handled. I'd say if you deal with a lot of cash, jewelry, or anything else of good value, do it.

If you deal with a lot of scumbags on a regular basis, do that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's actually a dental office, but we're in a very prominent location. We're all just a bit more concerned due to the increase in completely random shootings. It's not so much cash we need to protect, but ourselves. I hate to be "paranoid", but its just a scary world. But, maybe we're all just overreacting.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Get everyone that works there to take a defensive shotgun course and frequent range time. Might even be able to write it off as a team-building exercise.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
What does your insurance agent say about a loaded unsecured firearm under the reception desk?
Insurence must know about firearms you own/have now? Honest question, I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Dental office was not the business I was expecting to hear :)

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Insurence must know about firearms you own/have now? Honest question, I'm curious.
No, they don't need to know but when you're running a business such as a dental office where there's already a ton of liability insurance, letting them know about a firearm can raise/lower premiums accordingly or not affect them at all.

Honestly, I think it'd be a lot more liability involved for the actual owner of the business. Would every person be willing to learn to shoot and proper firearm safety?
Think of it this way, the owner could face a lawsuit as forcing employees to be at least somewhat proficient in firearms is similar to making a Muslim worker eat pork, at least when that business is a dental practice.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
No, they don't need to know but when you're running a business such as a dental office where there's already a ton of liability insurance, letting them know about a firearm can raise/lower premiums accordingly or not affect them at all.
I haven't read our liability insurance but I am pretty sure accidental shooting isn't listed.

Lets say you have a shot gun under the counter. The receptionist goes to the bathroom. A client comes in, no one is at the desk, he helps himself to a rubber band and sees your shot gun. Since it's just the one he wants to buy he picks it up and accidentally shoots it. The buckshot goes thru the floor in into my foot while I am getting my teeth cleaned. Guess who I am going to sue and guess who won't have a practice anymore?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are all valid points, some of them that we had not considered despite being smart people. ;)

Certainly if we were to do this, the weapon would be secured so as to prevent unauthorized use, which I realize raises issues with the ability to use it readily. But, the more thought we put to this we're realizing that not all of us in the office care for firearms and that will raise issues. And of course, the harbinger of liability which hangs over everything, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I suggest the boss make it explicit policy that licensed CCP-holding employees are allowed to carry at work.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Rather than shooting them, strong arm them into the dental chair and perform some "non-elective" dental procedures.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
or pipe nitrous in the ceiling! Push a button and everyone is happy!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Ever considered just having an armed guard? He would have the required training and paperwork for carrying a firearm in a defensive type situation, and being a dental office, if you can afford it, paying a guy some decent money to work security (and perhaps do some lifting, moving, light maintenance?) would be a nice change for someone with those credentials as many of them work or have worked in an environment a little more tense then that where the potential for a violent situation is more common.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Dental office was not the business I was expecting to hear :)
You never know man, it can get crazy in a dental office. A bad filling, Novocaine shot that doesn't quite kick in before a drilling, someone may go awol or return weeks later to express their rage about a filling gone wrong. Also, if I was in a business that was sending the bill for veneers, I'd probably keep a shotgun behind the reception desk as well.

I'm still looking for a dentist just like the one in Horrible Bosses who is as hot as Jennifer Aniston. If you know of one, PM me the recommendation!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts