New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.......Can someone please tell me the maximum legal number of rounds a shotgun can hold in NY ?? This is a HD shotgun,not a hunting shotgun.....Thank you.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Pump gun or semi-auto? Pistol grip?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I did a search above and put NY LAWS and found this! ....WOW ... Technology is amazing these days!!!!.... lol
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...e-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-3-shotguns.html

Bottom line:
-You have a pump limit is 999,999 rounds.
-You have a 1100 limit is 999,9999 rounds but you put a pistol grip and then can only have 4 maximum.
-You have a saiga with any sort of pistol grip better bolt down that magazine so it cannot be removed.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Don't get caught with an 870 that can hold 1,000,000 rounds or you are going to the slammer!

G

·
The NYS Penal Law only addresses semiautomatic shotguns when it describes limitations. A manually operated shotgun isn't included.

(b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following
characteristics:
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that...I always thought the limit was 5-rounds in the magazine regardless of whether or not a shotgun was manually operated or semi-auto. However, for hunting, I believe the DEC is strict on 5-round capacity, but noticed the wording on their website also refers to "autoloading firearm".

G

·
Federal Migratory Game Bird hunting regulations limit the capacity of ANY shotgun to 3-shots total.
NYS hunting regulations limit only the capacity of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
HOLD IT! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! There is some false info being given out. Pump-action (or bolt or lever) limit is 10 shot mag. Mag is separate law from the gun. That's why the Kel-Tec KSG has debated on the legal side of things. A pump action shotgun with an 11 round mag is illegal.

:)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
HOLD IT! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! There is some false info being given out. Pump-action (or bolt or lever) limit is 10 shot mag. Mag is separate law from the gun. That's why the Kel-Tec KSG has debated on the legal side of things. A pump action shotgun with an 11 round mag is illegal.

:)
Darthgamer,
Do you have the link to the official document?
Thanks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
LCAFD Law said:
Any magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. One exception to this is a magazine that was manufactured before September 13, 1994. Another exception is an "attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition". This means a tube similar to the magazine on a shotgun but on a .22 rimfire firearm.
That's from the AWB FAQ on this site, #2.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
magazine, drum, feedstrip or similar share the common characteristic to be detachable.
They mention that a 22LR tube is an exception but it is not obvious in that provision a shotgun tube is inlcuded in the first place.
I don't think that it is worth arguing because it is not practical a shotgun tube with more than 10 rounds if they actually exist but this
is yet another example of how vague and confusing the laws are.

Thanks for sharing though.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I agree, it isn't very clear, mostly because the entire article calls outs rifles and pistols specifically and never shotguns. **** NYS laws.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
magazine, drum, feedstrip or similar share the common characteristic to be detachable.
They mention that a 22LR tube is an exception but it is not obvious in that provision a shotgun tube is inlcuded in the first place.
I don't think that it is worth arguing because it is not practical a shotgun tube with more than 10 rounds if they actually exist but this
is yet another example of how vague and confusing the laws are.

Thanks for sharing though.
NP. I think that the Kel-tec KSG was made with those 2 mags under 10-rounds specifically FOR states like ours.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The gun in question is a Remington 870 A-TAC,so it has a regular stock and a built in pistol grip.......The tube holds 7 rounds,and one in the pipe for a total of 8......So I guess that is legal.... ???

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The gun in question is a Remington 870 A-TAC,so it has a regular stock and a built in pistol grip.......The tube holds 7 rounds,and one in the pipe for a total of 8......So I guess that is legal.... ???
Your only concern is magazine capacity there. You need to have it 10 or less, and you have 7. You pass. :)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Darthgamer138 is correct, of course.
10-round limit on all feeding devices that have been made after the magic date.
I don't even know a tube extension that can hold more than 10, are there any manufacturer?
Anyway IMO with 8 rounds of heavy shot the gun is already heavy in the nose and totally off balance.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I don't even know a tube extension that can hold more than 10, are there any manufacturer?
Anyway IMO with 8 rounds of heavy shot the gun is already heavy in the nose and totally off balance.
...you posted a pic of some...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts