New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mossberg 535 Turkey Combo like this. I know for the rifled barrel I have to shoot sabots. My question is for the bird barrel. Currently I use it with target loads for trap. And will use it with turkey loads for turkey. My questions is can I shoot buckshot out of the bird barrel? Do I need a different choke (I have an XXFULL)?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I shoot nothing but smooth bore. Open choke, full choke, IC anything really. Just pattern it and try diff chokes to get your groups where you want them

if I'm not shooting birdshot it's 00 or #4

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shoot nothing but smooth bore. Open choke, full choke, IC anything really. Just pattern it and try diff chokes to get your groups where you want them

if I'm not shooting birdshot it's 00 or #4
So it's perfectly fine/normal/harmless to shoot buckshot out of it? If you have a choke, what size do you use?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
you'll be fine

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
For barrels with chokes the only thing I have heard to NOT do is fire slugs out of a full choke.

At the very least it can make your shot very inaccurate, in extreme circumstances (and mostly with older shotguns make in the 50s/60s) you can rip the choke tube right out of the gun and take all the threads with it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For barrels with chokes the only thing I have heard to NOT do is fire slugs out of a full choke.

At the very least it can make your shot very inaccurate, in extreme circumstances (and mostly with older shotguns make in the 50s/60s) you can rip the choke tube right out of the gun and take all the threads with it.
I was wondering that as well. I think with a medium choke, or one that actually sits flush with the barrel, would allow a rifled slug to go through. With the purpose of the choke simply being to cover the threads.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I find 00 does best from a full choke out of my 835. My 500 also patterns 00 good but with a IC choke.

I use Rifled slugs with IC chokes in the 835, 500 and Benelli Nova (fixed choke)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I was wondering that as well. I think with a medium choke, or one that actually sits flush with the barrel, would allow a rifled slug to go through. With the purpose of the choke simply being to cover the threads.
Modified choke is supposed to be the best to fire slugs through, I think all slug barrels are modified choke so that would confirm that. Open choke is ok too but less accurate.

I've heard of avoiding steel shot in rifled shotgun barrels but I do believe that was only for older shotguns using newer ammo, but I would check before I did it, rifled barrels are not cheap.

As far as your original question the buckshot out of the XXFull choke should be fine, should make a hell of a pattern too, use that for HD lol

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find 00 does best from a full choke out of my 835. My 500 also patterns 00 good but with a IC choke.

I use Rifled slugs with IC chokes in the 835, 500 and Benelli Nova (fixed choke)
Guess I'll have to to try a few... thanks!

Modified choke is supposed to be the best to fire slugs through, I think all slug barrels are modified choke so that would confirm that. Open choke is ok too but less accurate.

I've heard of avoiding steel shot in rifled shotgun barrels but I do believe that was only for older shotguns using newer ammo, but I would check before I did it, rifled barrels are not cheap.

As far as your original question the buckshot out of the XXFull choke should be fine, should make a hell of a pattern too, use that for HD lol
Definitely don't plan on using steel shot, I do believe that is a no-no. Also, I don't need to. Looks like I might try out another choke. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts