Discussion Starter #1

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Smokless powder?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
OK .... that just scared the crap outta me!! I'm new to black powder/muzzle loading and .... what is smokeless powder?? I have been using Pyrodex pellets... is that safe or is it some of this smokeless powder you talk about? I use two pellets (100gr total) in my .45cal. Oh man!! That thing split apart like a plugged barrel or something!!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
OK .... that just scared the crap outta me!! I'm new to black powder/muzzle loading and .... what is smokeless powder?? I have been using Pyrodex pellets... is that safe or is it some of this smokeless powder you talk about? I use two pellets (100gr total) in my .45cal. Oh man!! That thing split apart like a plugged barrel or something!!
Smokeless powder is the stuff you put in modern self-contained cartridges when reloading them. (9mm, .22, .223, etc.) You specifically do not put it in muzzle loaders for that reason.

Even some new muzzleloaders "designed" for smokeless can fail.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! THIS LINK HAS SOME EXTREMELY GRUESOME PICS OF A MUZZLELOADER EXPLOSION IN IT! DO NOT CLICK IF YOU CAN'T TAKE GORE:
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=11187.0

Yeah...nasty stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts