New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the enroachment of housing over the past several years, several ranges now present possible noise conflicts with the neighbors. What actions ahve clubs taken with range design for sound abatement?

·
Registered
982 Posts
How about a big sign that says. . . "Don't like noise? Don't build next to a shooting range!"

·
Registered
810 Posts
With the enroachment of housing over the past several years, several ranges now present possible noise conflicts with the neighbors. What actions ahve clubs taken with range design for sound abatement?
Let the person(s) who choose to build a home next to the range put up their own noise barrier. Don't like the sound of firearms, don't build within earshot of the range, end of story.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
End of story until it turns out that they are rich and judges owe them favors. Then watch your range get shut down. This is America, this has happened and will happen again.

·
Registered
810 Posts
End of story until it turns out that they are rich and judges owe them favors. Then watch your range get shut down. This is America, this has happened and will happen again.
Can you give an example of a gun club being shut down because of some rich folk that were owed favors by some judge just so they could build a house.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Holley Rod and gun club apparently kicked somebody out for shooting to fast because their are houses near by and they dont want people making a bunch of noise apparently.. Im glad I dont have to go there to shoot any more

·
Registered
153 Posts
There have been race tracks shut down for the same reason. It has nothing to do with right and wrong, it has to do with who has more money. If people did what made sense we wouldn't have any crime, drug, or politician problems.......

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I believe there is a law that protects previously established gun clubs from being shut down over the noise issue. Have to do some research and see if I can find the statute.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Monroe Chester put a rule- no shooting before 10am - because neighboring houses complained about the noise. The club was here first. I believe the club was taken to court trying to shut it down and the time rule was a compromise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plant trees, shrubs. They absorb sound well. Unfortunately, also, no magnums at one club, 8am till sundown shooting only.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
GCL put spray foam on the outdoor range. You shoot from under a roof that has a back and side walls... basically a building without a front wall. I don't know if it was to mitigate noise for the shooters or the neighbors. Last I was there they had covered about 1/3 of it between the 2x6 studs.

I'm not sure who had the idea but based on my HVAC experience, the spray on foam they used (closed cell, kind of like the great stuff expanding foam) does not have great sound absorbing qualities. But, it's more easily cleanable so maybe it was chosen as a compromise between nothing and a more foam-like material that would absorb sound better but is not cleanable nor durable.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I believe there is a law that protects previously established gun clubs from being shut down over the noise issue. Have to do some research and see if I can find the statute.
Correct. If I recall, it was during the former Governor Mario Cuomo's admin as a way to get more voters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
GCL did a test position first on the rifle and had a 5db reduction. which i've been told each db has a multiable factor in reduction. There has been an active group of neighbors petitioning the town, doing something shows good with the town board.
In NY ranges were grandfathered in the noise laws but it doesn't stop harrasment lawsuits. If a group or person has enough money you can be litigated out of exsistance. We were here first doesn't mean squat.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My range - indoors is open 8a-10p except Sundays (opens at 10a), outdoors, same hours - except closes @ sunset. No magnums, no rapid fire, and only .17HMR and .22LR rifles are allowed.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
My range indoor is 24/7 Outdoor 9:00am to 8:00pm/or dusk which ever comes frist! Have a neighbor who built a home next to the range, looks for any reason to have us in court with the Town!! Called the Sheriff one night no one was at the Club it was the kid acrossed the road shooting his 22 he has no TIME RESTRICTIONS I suggested we buy him a brick of 22's a week..............

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Our club indoors is 24/7, outdoors is 10 AM to 1/2 hour before sunset Mon-Sat. and Noon to 1/2 hour before sunset on Sunday. That is in a written agreement with the town planning board when the range was built back in the early 1970s. We had a neighbor try to shut us down several years ago but they stopped when we got a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
In California, there have been several cases of developments popping up next to dairy farms, then the residents suing the farms due to the smell and flies and whatnot.

I really miss common sense, it's so uncommon nowadays.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Suffolk County Clays down here on the Island has been in danger for a while due to basically this exact situation. People new to the area build or buy homes nearby (for a knock-down price.. because they're next to an active skeet/trap range!!), then later try to have legal measures to shut the facility down put into effect due to the noise. Unfortunately, some anti-gun local politicians have given some help to that cause and as such the facility has to be on the defensive pretty much all the time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts