New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this gun would hit targets at 50 feet? From what I researched many have had decent groups but I have a hard time even hitting the target. I'm using Federal 180gr FMJ and here is the specs of the gun:

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40 S&W

James

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Will it hit targets at 50 feet? Yes, no problem. I can hit targets at 50 yards with my .40 Walther PPS which has a shorter barrel, although I usually practice from 21 to 37 feet.

If you are having issues at 50 feet, pull the target in closer and practice at a shorter range for a while.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I was wondering if this gun would hit targets at 50 feet? From what I researched many have had decent groups but I have a hard time even hitting the target. I'm using Federal 180gr FMJ and here is the specs of the gun:

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40 S&W

James
It will hit 50 feet all day if you practice the following:

Trigger control
Sight picture
Trigger control
Sight picture
Trigger control
Sight picture
Trigger control
Sight picture

Am I making the point clear? Like mentioned before, practice at short distance first and then keep working your way up.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just noticed something on the gun that I did not notice before, the rear sight is adjustable. Hmmmm.....

JstarX7, at my range we are not allowed to move the targets closer than 50 feet.

James

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
What target are you using? You may be trying to shoot bullseye targets with a defensive handgun. It's hard enough to shoot good groups with a bullseye gun let alone a compact gun, if you are shooting small targets at 50 feet, that may be what is disappointing you. Bullseye targets for 50 feet are NRA B-2 and B-3.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What target are you using? You may be trying to shoot bullseye targets with a defensive handgun. It's hard enough to shoot good groups with a bullseye gun let alone a compact gun, if you are shooting small targets at 50 feet, that may be what is disappointing you. Bullseye targets for 50 feet are NRA B-2 and B-3.
Yeah bullseye targets is what I'm using. Sorry but I'm new to hand guns so I'm learning.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a M&P 40 full size, and i use silhouette's out 50 feet. If i'm lucky and really concentrating, 4 of 10 will hit the paper out 50. My 9mm pps - 7 of ten in a reasonable (for me) grouping at the same distance.

40 cal is snappy - especially in the compact frame. Like the others said - trigger control and sight picture. To add to it though - have a friend fill your mag and not tell you how high they're staking them. Concentrate on every shot. I'd bet the first time you pull the trigger on an empty chamber your muzzle drops. I do the same damn thing - flinch. I try not to, i know I do it, and I still do it. I bet the windage isn't your problem (rear sight adjustment). It's flinching, and pulling the trigger to a side (if you're a righty, you probably pull left). Combined with muzzle drop I'd bet all your shots are low left.

Concentrate on every shot, and if you can - shoot at something closer. If you absolutely have to shoot out 50 - put a HUGE piece of cardboard out here, with a circle drawn in marker of reasonable size (small plate size) in the middle. Shoot three to five rounds and see where your holes are. You can't fix problems you can't see. From there, adjust what you're doing (not your rear sight) to get them where they need to be. Then it's muscle memory from there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I often shoot my M&P compact .40 at ranges between 15 yards and 25 yards and have found the gun to be very accurate with factory night sites. I'll bet if the gun was in the rigth hands (or in a rest), it would shoot a group the size of a Compact Disc at that range. The M&P Compact i own shoots as well as the Sig 229 .40 that i have and better than the Ruger GP100 and Beretta 92D at 25 yards. I would recommend taking some instuction from some of the pro's here on the site. Shooting is the same as every other recreation...golf, skiing, fishing...a few lessons by a professional instructor makes a world of difference.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommy you made some good points but I do not flinch. I do close one eye and I have tried switching with the same results. My eye stays open the whole time. When I'm shooting my rifle with iron sights, red dots or scopes, I have both eyes open and I do not flinch if that helps. As for putting other targets down range, well that is not allowed. Only the targets they supply are allowed. I do take everyone's advice on here seriously that is why I posted it here.

James

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tommy you made some good points but I do not flinch. I do close one eye and I have tried switching with the same results. My eye stays open the whole time. When I'm shooting my rifle with iron sights, red dots or scopes, I have both eyes open and I do not flinch if that helps. As for putting other targets down range, well that is not allowed. Only the targets they supply are allowed. I do take everyone's advice on here seriously that is why I posted it here.

James
You're doing something, because it isn't the gun.

If you aren't moving your face, you may be anticipating the recoil and moving one or both of your hands. It can be hard to tell by yourself, a snap cap thrown in the mag at random can be very telling.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think you may have taken "flinch" in the wrong light. Wasn't calling you out and saying you're afraid of the gun and flinching by closing your eyes necessarily. A lot of people (myself included, hence the story that I do it too) instinctively anticipate the recoil and dip the barrel a split second before it goes off. Most call it flinching. I first noticed it when I had a misfire, and realized my muzzle dropped. Like the last post said - you probably aren't realizing you're doing it. Have a friend watch or tape you shoot with a snap cap randomly in the mix, or not stacking the mag all the way and watching what happens on that unexpected non fire (snap cap or outta rounds). Odds are, you're dropping the barrel down. My entire post was meant to help, not insult. Just helpful suggestions.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you may have taken "flinch" in the wrong light. Wasn't calling you out and saying you're afraid of the gun and flinching by closing your eyes necessarily. A lot of people (myself included, hence the story that I do it too) instinctively anticipate the recoil and dip the barrel a split second before it goes off. Most call it flinching. I first noticed it when I had a misfire, and realized my muzzle dropped. Like the last post said - you probably aren't realizing you're doing it. Have a friend watch or tape you shoot with a snap cap randomly in the mix, or not stacking the mag all the way and watching what happens on that unexpected non fire (snap cap or outta rounds). Odds are, you're dropping the barrel down. My entire post was meant to help, not insult. Just helpful suggestions.
Did not take it as an insult at all. I do have some snap caps and I will try that. You guys are probably correct, I'm probably anticipating the recoil and dropping my muzzle down.

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I went to the range yesterday and I did better. I took my time between shots which seemed to help. I did not use any snap-caps this time but next time I will. I hit the paper majority of the time which last time I could barely hit it at all. So now that I'm on paper I will try some other methods to see if I can get the grouping better.

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what club is 50 ft only? Sounds like you are shooting indoors?
Binghamton Rifle Club. Just last week they changed the rules on a couple of lanes that you can shoot the target at the 20ft mark.

James

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Join Tioga Sportsman. It's usually deserted up there and you can do whatever the hell you want as long as it's A) Safe and B) Doesn't destroy range property.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Join Tioga Sportsman. It's usually deserted up there and you can do whatever the hell you want as long as it's A) Safe and B) Doesn't destroy range property.
Kind of far from me. BRC is close. I will probably join Broome County Sportman's instead which is just as close. They have indoor and outdoor.

James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts