New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I was working an event for one of my clients in Kentucky this week and since my job involves ticketing for sporting events I was watching the gates to make sure my equipment was working properly. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an elderly gentleman with a blue ribbon around his neck. Sure enough he was wearing a Medal of honor. I didn't ask him any questions because he was going on about his day and with what appeared to be his family but I shot off my golf cart, through about 50 people to shake his hand and thank him.

Judging by his age I would say he had to be in the Korean war or WWII. I'm glad he was still walking around and enjoying life cause I'm sure he earned it. I wish I could have gotten him a ticket upgrade or something but damn it was cool to see one of these guys in person.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
When you read the accounts of what these men went through it really puts things in perspective, courage personified.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I shook hands with and did a video program and coverage of it for a local WW2 MoH recipient. Guy took out a a few half tracks, a German tank and a bunch of soldiers. All with captured equipment ... After the Germans overran his position. Amazing story. True valor.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amen. good for you for taking your time, it meant a lot to him.
Thanks but I felt like I was being rude after but I was sort of excited.

I think these guys are fascinating and would love to just chat, but the venue was not good for that.

My grandfather had passed long before I was old enough for him to tell me any stories. According to my parents he didn't like talking about the war anyway, not that I can blame him. From what my grandmother told us, he was to receive the bronze star and a purple heart but the paper work never went through. He never complained and never got his award and again im sure he just wanted to get on with his life.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Several years back I was photographing an event for the local VFW. They had invited all the living MofH winners to the event, 7 of them attended. A few bore some horrific scars from their heroic deeds. They were a fascinating group to talk with, all were friendly and kind. I'm pretty happy that I had been part of that event. A chance to meet men like this comes around rarely.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Awesome to hear and a nice change of pace from the "usual" threads we've been having here lately.

I had the privilege of serving on the Board of Directors of a few insurance companies with a Ret Major General that was one of the Tuskegee airmen. He passed away about a year before they awarded the Congressional Silver Star (I believe). A true gentleman and American hero. RIP.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

My Martial Arts instructor was in Vietnam, and all the time I was studying under him (maybe 5 years), he never mentioned anything about it...never talked about it, nor really mentioned it...Anyway, one night, after class, he and his wife took me (and the entire class) out to dinner, for my Birthday...., anyway, out of the blue, (after most of the class went home for the night) he started talking to me about what he did there....his experiences there, what his job was....Not only was I shocked that he opened-up to me like that, but, just listening to his story, was really gut wrenching, and all that he went through...Both mentally & physically.

I was at a loss for words after that...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I love hearing any war stories....whether from a MoH recipient or not. My favorite was when the movie Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert Di Nero came out. I was in the Navy living in great lakes. I went to opening night for the movie on base and Carl Brashear met with everyone in attendance afterward. Very cool watching his life story and then meeting him in person the same night.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Awesome stuff right there.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Lol I just noticed that.. Trust me I know how to spell honor as a matter of fact, its correct in my story. I am mad at myself for missing it however.
You could have edited the title by going to 'advanced' in edit mode. I fixed it for you though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts