New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I did a quick search and didn't really find what I was looking for. Everyone seems to be under the same assumption (myself included) that if shipping a handgun to an out of state FFL it needs to be shipped from an FFL (FFL to FFL). Is there a NYS law that says this??? Or something else that I am missing? Just curious

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
pretty sure it is federal law.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
In state you can. You just need to have the purchase coupon first. And I remember reading somewhere that it needed to be shipped express.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
In state you can. You just need to have the purchase coupon first. And I remember reading somewhere that it needed to be shipped express.
Supposed to be shipped overnight(not a federal law but required by common carriers), some people don't. If the gun gets stolen/lost gonna be hard to 'splain what happened.
A non-FFL can ship a handgun interstate, I've had guns sent to my FFL from out of state sellers with just a DL as ID. I believe NY requires you to use an FFL to ship OUT of state, though I could be mistaken. One needs a "receipt" to show the clerks office to get the gun removed from your license, not sure an OOS receipt would fly. I know in Putnam it won't.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supposed to be shipped overnight, some people don't. If the gun gets stolen/lost gonna be hard to 'splain what happened.
A non-FFL can ship a handgun interstate, I've had guns sent to my FFL from out of state sellers with just a DL as ID. I believe NY requires you to use an FFL to ship OUT of state, though I could be mistaken. One needs a "receipt" to show the clerks office to get the gun removed from your license, not sure an OOS receipt would fly. I know in Putnam it won't.
My county takes down the receiving FFL's info when i have a pistol taken off not the FFL i used to ship it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Supposed to be shipped overnight(not a federal law but required by common carriers), some people don't. If the gun gets stolen/lost gonna be hard to 'splain what happened.
The "receipt" would be the purchase coupon from the person buying it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I didn't see one either.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oh ok I thought we were talking intrastate not interstate. Yes you will need an FFL to ship it to another FFL. Your FFL will give you the receipt to get it taken off of your permit. Theirs will just do a background check on them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Expensive shipping a handgun using UPS overnight, $60-$75 depending on ins. and distance.
FFL's get to use USPS, allot cheaper.

M1-TA

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Cheaper, and because you want a receipt once it leaves your possession. You don't want to ship it to their FFL then be waiting several days for them to send you a receipt which has a possibility of getting lost in the mail.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cheaper, and because you want a receipt once it leaves your possession. You don't want to ship it to their FFL then be waiting several days for them to send you a receipt which has a possibility of getting lost in the mail.
Yes i understand all that but these are reasons you'd WANT to ship from an FFL..... not NEED

Also, the receiving FFL can email you a receipt or Fax it so that eliminates waiting several days for a receipt and a possibility or it getting lost in the mail.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts