New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheriff's volunteers burst into school, fire blanks at staff to "test readiness"

Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness | OregonLive.com

This story is just insane. Two masked sheriff's department volunteers in Oregon burst into a public school (during a staff-only day) and fired blanks at the staff to "test readiness". Apparently, according to one of the teachers, only two of the 15 in that room would have survived.

Now, let's imagine if some of those staff had been carrying... imagine what would have happened.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
That was dumb. 2 out of 15 survived? Great odds for the liberals. Now, for the rest of us, I'd say that just further proves the point that concealed carry is necessary.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Depending on the clearance distance between the shooter and target (point blank range) a blank is still potentially lethal.

I can see a law suit for 'undue stress and mental trauma' just waiting to come out of that.

Or at least for the cost of new underwear!

·
Registered
202 Posts
really? If a blanc fired in my office, the gunman would have a Bowker in his neck before I realized they were blancs, and I wasnt shot. Oh well, the shooter is dead, with a knife in his neck before I realized it was a drill. Sorry. Am I now in trouble?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
What if one of staff had a knife or pistol? That could have ended badly. Really stupid drill.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really can't comprehend how anybody would think that this is ok, but some of the teachers interviewed certainly seemed to think it was.

What kind of world do we live in?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I saw some school in Chicago wanted to do this, too. Very stupid because we all know that all of these schools are shooting galleries, there is no "readiness" against a gun man when everybody in the school is unarmed other than to run or hide. That is a simple fact. It's as stupid as dropping a test nuclear bomb on a city to test its readiness. Guess what: it's not ready to be hit by a nuclear bomb, surprise, surprise.

Primarily these exercises spread fear. A second thing they do is show how unready most schools are though I am guessing few will understand why and what the only thing to increase readiness is (ballistic grade glass on all windows plus expansive security system with armed response). School in the newton CT shooting had recently had a security upgrade. Some others require visitors to get passes, all just total nonsense and designed only to frustrate regular people going about legal business, for they all are things that a gunman would ignore.

Locked doors with intercoms will frustrate a potential kidnapper but again offer zero protection against a gunman.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Phenominally good idea, wake up and look around, do you think we live in a safe society sheltered from evil or do you want everybody to go about their normal business and be sheep ripe for the slaughter because somebody can't comprehend that we need trained security in our schools? This is a prime example on how not to run a school. Sadly the same results would happen in NY schools because we protect our children with pacifists and signs.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
It was only a stupid drill had they not been forewarned that it would take place in the future.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Firing a blank at me is the same as missing me with a live round.. I don't know what's coming at me. And I'm not going to stop to check until I've emptied my magazine and the threat to my life is eliminated.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I'm sure they were prepared for that. Really awesome drill.
I thought you were joking when you said this drill was a good idea. How would they prepare for a potentially armed staff member fighting back?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It was only a stupid drill had they not been forewarned that it would take place in the future.
I still think you have a problem if the timing of the drill is unknown. Where an appropriate response to someone else's action is the use of severe to deadly force, the person who might so respond must be told they're in a drill. Leaving them any room to think that what they are being subjected to is possibly a real attack is a recipe for disaster when they respond based on that reasonable belief.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Irresponsible and stupid just don't even begin to cover it. Some people are far too brain dead to be in the position they are too plan such a thing.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Further proof that unarmed persons in a gun free zone are at risk.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
"active shooters" who were, in reality, members of the school staff...
I post that because post one seemed to indicate the fake-gunmen were somehow connected to the sheriff's department. It would seem by the quote I put there that they were not; instead, it sounds like the school staff called an audible. I have some trouble believing a legitimate LEO organization would have thought up such a truly IDIOTIC and dangerous idea, but school administrators? Yeah I can buy that.

I'm also amazed some people here can't see what a terrible, terrible idea this was...

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I thought you were joking when you said this drill was a good idea. How would they prepare for a potentially armed staff member fighting back?
I'm sure they had armor on underneath and I'm sure they had other precautions in place, not to mention, Oregon schools are a no go, dont' knwo anybody who is a teacher who is willing to risk jail and losing their job, just lie criminals, they knew going in they wold meet little to no resistance.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.