New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody tried to shave a front sight base without taking the front sight off the barrel? (since with a pinned muzzle device taking it off is almost impossible) Im thinking about shaving mine and getting a rail to go over it and am just curious how difficult it is... wouldnt want to slip and mess my barrel up

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you've a hacksaw and bench grinder its pretty much pie.

Hacksaw the triangle tower off then get after it with the grinder.
Takes about 15 minutes. 20~30 if you want to really pretty it up before bluing/parkerizing/alumablacking

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you've a hacksaw and bench grinder its pretty much pie.

Hacksaw the triangle tower off then get after it with the grinder.
Takes about 15 minutes. 20~30 if you want to really pretty it up before bluing/parkerizing/alumablacking
Angle grinder seems a bit over kill lol... I think ill pick up a dremel to do it.. need an excuse to get one anyways

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bench grinder not angle grinder.
Its gonna take a long while with a dremel. Good for the final finish work though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
One benifit is that it allows you to get the fixed front sight out of the road of an optic.

Another is the allownce for a FF tube or handguard that's longer than what the factory sight tower would allow.
This in turn creates a longer sight radius on rail mounted irons, which is an improvement in general accuracy with said irons.

And, another another is the allowance for a FF tube or handguard that's longer than what the factory sight tower would allow.
This lets you have many inches more support hand grab/grip locations than, say, a standard set of carbine handguards.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the benefit of doing this? i thought about doing it and adding a front fold down sight on tthe quad rail
Im considering it to get the front sight out of the way for optics and to have a rail thats longer than the handgaurd I have now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts