New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NYT...
The share of American households with guns has declined over the past four decades, a national survey shows, with some of the most surprising drops in the South and the Western mountain states, where guns are deeply embedded in the culture.
Didn't read the full article to know the exact timeframe; however, I think based on the number of NICs since December, they can throw this study right in the can...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-shows.html?pagewanted=1
Has Gun Ownership in American Homes Really Decreased This Dramatically? | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
160 Posts
You don't need recent NICS stats to throw this one out. This study suffers from the same flaws as ones on income that claim household income has been on a multi-decade decline. The flaw is this: divorce rates have gone way way up. Example: A married couple own a gun, so one household one gun. They divorce, now we have two households, one gun, ownership rate drops by half unless the non-gun owning former spouses goes out and buys one.

Economists have long pointed out how this skews the household income stats. Husband and wife, he works, she doesn't, he makes $60,000. That's $60K for one household. They divorce, she has to get a job making $45K. We now have two households making an average of $52,500. Household income has gone down by 12.5%.

Plus the average age of women getting married has gone up, so that means that the process whereby two households - a single woman's and a single man's - merge into one is put off, keeping the number of households higher for longer.

Bottom line: household measures of anything across time are generally not good social science.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
How and were do they find that information on gun ownership?

I think the NRA's statement proves it is not the case, "Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said he was skeptical that there had been a decline in household ownership. He pointed to reports of increased gun sales, to long waits for gun safety training classes and to the growing number of background checks, which have surged since the late 1990s, as evidence that ownership is rising."I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to make the case that there are fewer gun owners in this country, but the stories we've been hearing and the data we've been seeing simply don't support that," he said."

Although I do question if the number of people hunting with a firearm as dropped?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It should go without saying that the massive increase in NICS has to a great degree mirrored laws--previously it didn't exist but people still bought guns; now they use it because they have to. However, one can tease out changes in laws and still see huge spikes since, say, Obama came to office a few years ago, and so there is no doubt the total number of guns has wildly increased in recent decades. But there is also no doubt a lot of these increases are just previous gun owners buying more guns.

I suspect the total number of households that own guns is on the decrease, overall. There are likely temporary reversals. For example recently with all of the news about guns I'm sure that there are less people discarding them than new gun owners who've taken an interest because of the debate, likely to the chagrin of anti-gun advocates. I would fit this category.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.