New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just handed in all the paperwork back on Feb. 2nd and the wait is killing me, especially since I had to put a down payment on the firearm before I handed in my application....and since paid in full for a pistol I can't even touch. Anyone applied for and received a permit in Seneca county lately?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this site and i see there isn't to much information regarding Seneca cty so i guess i will share some info with you.
All application paper work can be picked up at the Sheriff Dept in Romulus NY or by visiting the website Seneca County Sheriffs Office - New York and printing off all paper work.
The following paper work must be filled out in black ink.
1. Pistol License Application Questionnaire
2. Pistol Permit Character Reference's (4 are required and your reference must have them notarized.
3. Character Reference Mailing List
4. Departmental Affirmation
5. PPB3-NYS Pistol/Revolver Application(completed in Duplicate,NO Photocopies with original Signatures
You will need a money order/cashier check for $94.25 payable to Seneca County Sheriff's Office(state&federal fingerprint processing fee)
You will need a money order/cash for $10.00(Paper work processing fee)
If you have arrests, even if they are sealed you must list them. I went to each court and got certificate of dispositions(makes it much eaiser)
You will need to put a downpayment on a pistol/revolver and bring the receipt or fill out a Co registration form to add someone else's pistol/revolver.
When all of the above is filled out and done, you need to go to the Sheriff's Dept between 09:00-15:30 Monday thru Thursday to hand in the application. The Ladies that work in the records dept are very polite and help you fix any issues with your paperwork. If all the paper work is order they send you next door to be fingerprinted, then it's the waiting game.

My paper work was handed in on January 3rd 2012 and all references were contacted by February 7th. A deputy will contact references by phone and ask questions such as, how long have they known the applicant, why does the applicant need a pistol/revolver, and has the applicant ever been arrested and if so ,for what?
On March 23rd i received a letter from the Seneca cty Judge stating that he reviewed my application and since ive been arrested he would need to see me in person before making any further actions of consideration.( I do know a few people with perfect records have received there permit within 4 weeks but most are 8-10 weeks) I will list my arrests for others to use as a gauge( As i know this was one of my concerns and didnt find much information regarding this)
1994- Trespassing while hunting- Fine/fee
1994-Harassment - Dismissed
1998-Harassment - Dismissed with an ACD
1999-Disorderly Conduct- Dismissed
2002-Harassment- Dismissed with an ACD
2006-DWI-1st Offense-Fine/lost driving privelage for 6months
2006-Issued Bad Check- Dismissed with an ACD
Went and seen the Judge on April 20th 2012 which turned out to be a hearing. He asked about all my arrests and i answered with truthful statements as you are sworn under oath, then he proceeded with the DWI, which i told him i dont drink anymore and havent since that day. Then he asked me why am i applying for a permit now and why i didnt 10 years ago, i said because i wasnt ready to take on that responsibility at that time. He then says, dont you think a 45 is a bit big to shoot squirrels with,he chuckled and said he didnt see any reason to not approve it. So long story short, be honest,speak clearly and even with an arrest record you can be approved without restrictions as i did.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. For a while there I thought there were no pistol permit holders in Seneca county. Glad to hear it worked out for you. According to your time line I should get a letter in the mail....anytime now. Although I dont have a single blemish on my record and applied for restricted. Ah well I just hope that letter comes this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.