New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was selling my bike on Craigslist. Really all I was doing is destroying my faith in humanity.
The "Nigerian" scammers had better grammar and spelling and manners along with reading comprehension compared to the local yokels.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had that happen when I sold a Mac book. Lucky for me the woman at the PO took a look at the address and said SCAMMER! Never sell to Nigeria, what they do is wait for you to send the tracking notice, then cancel out, by then it's too late, they get your item, you get swindled. Only sell local on Craigslist. I still get scammers but the true buyer will travel and face to face with you. Sometimes I've met them half way.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Nooooo ......

take advantage of them Scammers

I cleaned out my garage with the help of the " I will send a Money Order/Certified Check, and my Messenger Service will pick up"

FedEx took away concrete chunks, broken up cast iron bath tub, 1/4 full Cans rotten Paint, etc

I can only imagine to shipping cost to Nigeria ..

or..
the priceless look when they opened the box of the " JBLSpeakers" they didn't pay for

·
Registered
850 Posts
I received a check for $2,700 for an item I was selling for $27. Buyer wanted me send item and a refund check for $2,673.00.
I still have the check framed in my office :)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I've had more than 1 uber rich relative die in the last few years in Nigeria that I never knew I was their only surviving heir.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
fun story
i had a friend who lived in los angeles. He was searching for a new apartment on CL because i was moving out there. Anyway, he found one for great deal right on the beach, everything included blah blah blah.... The 'landlord' lived in Nigeria because he was in the Peace Core (lolololol okay....). They told my friend to send first and last months rent and they would send back keys to the place. We didnt believe them at all so my friend went to the address and told the people their place is a scam listing.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Craigslist definitely brings out the dregs of society. I never got the Nigerian scam because I don't reply back to the "still available?" reply's. When I do sell on CL, I get all kinds of people who want what I am selling for next to nothing.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Craigslist definitely brings out the dregs of society.
No doubt. If a CL transaction is performed correctly the other person should never be able to find you again...unless you want to be found.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I was selling my bike on Craigslist. Really all I was doing is destroying my faith in humanity.
The "Nigerian" scammers had better grammar and spelling and manners along with reading comprehension compared to the local yokels.
A large percentage, even a majority, of people on craigslist are basically absolute morons. Patent, through and through idiots. They can't read basic listings, don't understand how to communicate on even an elementary level, and have no follow-through. They are unreliable and frustrating to deal with. I know it's not just me who feels this way as I am aware of many other people continually annoyed by people who just disappear off the map in the middle of a transaction over email. or, they never show up, or they just do any number of other stupid things.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
i always state...

CASH ONLY!
In Person ONLY!

NO EXCEPTIONS!

i never get the scammers.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i always state...

CASH ONLY!
In Person ONLY!

NO EXCEPTIONS!

i never get the scammers.
If it is small stuff, I arrange a meeting near a restaurant. If they bother to show up, they are serious, if not or they wasted some gas, I'll get a bite to eat and it was not a wasted trip for me.

Big items, I don't care who it is that picks it up or who want to have it shipped. Once that cash is in my hand, have at it. Best one they wanted to send me a check then have their brother pick it up. No problem, just have your bro cash that check on the way to pick it up and you can save the price of a stamp!!! Funny how he did not write me back.

If you do sell figure what you are willing to take, figure they will chew you down over the phone, then show up with a hundred or so less. Turned away 2 of them. Had good luck trading as well.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No doubt. If a CL transaction is performed correctly the other person should never be able to find you again...unless you want to be found.
i have a friend who buys and sells all the time on CL. He had a track phone for a while as well as a fake email and alias.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i have a friend who buys and sells all the time on CL. He had a track phone for a while as well as a fake email and alias.
Good move. Can never be too careful.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Nooooo ......

take advantage of them Scammers

I cleaned out my garage with the help of the " I will send a Money Order/Certified Check, and my Messenger Service will pick up"

FedEx took away concrete chunks, broken up cast iron bath tub, 1/4 full Cans rotten Paint, etc

I can only imagine to shipping cost to Nigeria ..

or..
the priceless look when they opened the box of the " JBLSpeakers" they didn't pay for
Reminds me of this epic trolling of a scammer:

P-P-P-Powerbook | MetaFilter

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I received a check for $2,700 for an item I was selling for $27. Buyer wanted me send item and a refund check for $2,673.00.
I still have the check framed in my office :)
Bwuahahahahahaha amazing.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I can't stand CL. But I hate it less than ebay.

Good lord EBAY is pure wallet rape. You can sell some unsellable stuff though and that's nice.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I have $600,000 in counterfeit USPS money orders.

I convinced a Nigerian guy that I would be his courier on the US side. Money orders shipped from Nigeria get confiscated in customs. They need to send them from inside the US.

I am pretty sure someone got murdered over that one, they had to buy the money orders from the counterfeiter then smuggle them to France on someone with diplomatic immunity.

Interestingly enough the FBI didn't seem to care. We told them were and how to intercept my package.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts