New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I would like to shoot fox/coyote and sell there pelts. My question is where/who can I sell them to? I live in putnam. What's good practice, like should I clean them or do places takes them as is?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I give my animals to a local trapper. I was told the market is crap since last year. If u want top dollar skin them right and don't put too big of a hole in it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'd prefer to give them to a trapper or something like that as well. I'm new to this so being tuft I haven't skinned an animal I will most likely make holes and botch it up

·
Registered
850 Posts
If it is something u think u might enjoy.....practic. Ask a trapper how to skin it. I was told some methods of skinning pay more.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Practice on fuzzy tail tree rats, their hide is more easily screwed up. If you can skin and clean their hide proficiently a yote or fox will be cake. I have an abundance of yotes and fox near me so I'm thinking I may spend more time hunting them this year if the hide prices are worth it this year.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most buyers will take the critter as is ,in fact appreciate it since you are new at it! I would look up buyers in the area ,pickup the phone , and talk to them about putting up fur. Do not concern your self with market prices ,like my trapping ,(it"s a sport) Fur/Fish/and Game is a great mag withe market prices , tips on every thing usefull with out the B.S. !

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys. All great info. I need to find buyers in the area. But yes, definately in it for the fun and sport. It's all a learning experience and I'm loving it right now. Can't wait for opening

·
Registered
850 Posts
Predator season is a good time. Do u plan on hunting day or night? I mostly hunt at night. Get yourself a good led scope light. Just remember when calling at night....identify your target, u don't want to shoot a neighbor dog.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Predator season is a good time. Do u plan on hunting day or night? I mostly hunt at night. Get yourself a good led scope light. Just remember when calling at night....identify your target, u don't want to shoot a neighbor dog.
I'm gonna hunt whenever I could. I've never gone night hunting so I'm going to try that out this year. I saw a fox last night not far from my house, got the blood flowing. Any recommended scope lights? Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Do they still trap beaver in NY? I haven't seen many beaver pelts these past years.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm gonna hunt whenever I could. I've never gone night hunting so I'm going to try that out this year. I saw a fox last night not far from my house, got the blood flowing. Any recommended scope lights? Thanks guys
I use my kill light 100 for my shotgun and I used to use the kill light 250 on my scope. I switched to the deree nightmaster. The nightmaster throws farther plus u can adjust the beam. I think the nightmaster is a better light. The place I bought mine from went out of business but I think u can get them in a kit now from flashlight hut. All three of the lights I mentioned above are all led lights. When I first started out I was using a spotlight and car battery.....it sucked because of the weight. The kill light used rechargeable 18650 batteries and u can use the 18650 batteries for the nightmaster if u buy the battery extension for the 18650 batteries, which isn't much.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do they still trap beaver in NY? I haven't seen many beaver pelts these past years.
My buddy still trap for beaver. We are having problem with beavers on a hunting lease I am part of. People do not trap beavers like they used too

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
We pull 4 or 5 out of the creek/swamp at my parents every year.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Most buyers will take the critter as is
when I trapped no buyer would take critters as is, they needed to be skinned and fleshed to make your money. you can give them to a trapper to do the work but don't expect to be paid unless fur prices go way up. As some one said there going to deduct for the holes so keep them small

·
Registered
894 Posts
Look up some info on pelt care - as mentioned above. Foxes are skinned 'cased' -- coyotes skinned 'open'. Raw fur - not stretched and dried skins - may be kept in the freezer for a while without deterioration. Buyers wil buy raw fur. Stretched, scraped, and dried pelts will bring more money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.