New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with cameras that stream to a laptop? Long story short I was left a house from a relative and "youths" (some might be over 18) have been on the porches and in the yard. I want to keep an eye on the place and need camera recommendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I have two Linksys (Cisco) wifi cameras. They stream to a laptop that records 30 days (depends on hard drive size of course). Also sends me a 5 second video clip to email every time the motion sensor is activated. And you can view live over the Internet with a browser. The cameras cost around $60 if I recall.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have two Linksys (Cisco) wifi cameras. They stream to a laptop that records 30 days (depends on hard drive size of course). Also sends me a 5 second video clip to email every time the motion sensor is activated. And you can view live over the Internet with a browser. The cameras cost around $60 if I recall.
That's awesome!

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into that set up.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Related story....
The house next to mine has been vacant for a couple years now. I believe it is in foreclosure. A couple months back, a cop came up to my door and started asking me questions about the house. Turns out, someone broke in and stole the copper. People trashed the inside by spray painting, smoking weed, and destroying the floors. There was garbage strewn about. There was a bunch of empty cigarette lighters, packs of cigarettes, and other garbage on the other side of the house. They told me to call them if I ever see anything.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. A group of 2, 3, or 4 kids started hanging out on the concrete front steps. I didn't really care. Well, garbage started to show up in the driveway. Then, the wind picked up and I had to pick up garbage out of my lawn. Last week, there was a bunch of silly string sprayed on the front steps. About 15 minutes after I got home from work, I saw two of the kids walk up and sit down. I gave them 10 minutes to move along, but they didn't.

I called the cops on them stressing that I just wanted them kicked off the property and told not to come back. The cops showed up and started talking to the kids. I looked out my window a couple minutes later, and they had they were patting the kids down. They put handcuffs on them and threw them into two different cars and drove off.

Haven't seen them since. I feel a little guilty with what happened to them, but they were knowingly trespassing. I'm assuming they were littering. It's possible they did some of the damage inside.

Don't hesitate calling the cops.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Related story....
The house next to mine has been vacant for a couple years now. I believe it is in foreclosure. A couple months back, a cop came up to my door and started asking me questions about the house. Turns out, someone broke in and stole the copper. People trashed the inside by spray painting, smoking weed, and destroying the floors. There was garbage strewn about. There was a bunch of empty cigarette lighters, packs of cigarettes, and other garbage on the other side of the house. They told me to call them if I ever see anything.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. A group of 2, 3, or 4 kids started hanging out on the concrete front steps. I didn't really care. Well, garbage started to show up in the driveway. Then, the wind picked up and I had to pick up garbage out of my lawn. Last week, there was a bunch of silly string sprayed on the front steps. About 15 minutes after I got home from work, I saw two of the kids walk up and sit down. I gave them 10 minutes to move along, but they didn't.

I called the cops on them stressing that I just wanted them kicked off the property and told not to come back. The cops showed up and started talking to the kids. I looked out my window a couple minutes later, and they had they were patting the kids down. They put handcuffs on them and threw them into two different cars and drove off.

Haven't seen them since. I feel a little guilty with what happened to them, but they were knowingly trespassing. I'm assuming they were littering. It's possible they did some of the damage inside.

Don't hesitate calling the cops.
It was probably more than trespassing. Trespassing requires an owner to sign a complaint. Finding someone at the bank or mortgage lender to sign a complaint is not something you could do in a few minutes.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Can you show me a link?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
This is the view out the front. Blown up of course. Nothing goes past my house without being recorded.
Plant Tree Grass Land lot Road surface

Note these are NOT night cameras. The one in the pic does not show much after dark, the one at the front door is lit by a 60W equivalent LED light bulb, and clearly shows anyone on my steps or at the front door.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have a dropcam ,it works good , day / night color , 2 way audio , acces via phone or pc ,and records to dropcams server . Think it was $140

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
It was probably more than trespassing. Trespassing requires an owner to sign a complaint. Finding someone at the bank or mortgage lender to sign a complaint is not something you could do in a few minutes.
Possibly. They could have been scaring them. Wouldn't surprise me if they had pot or other drugs on them though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a dropcam ,it works good , day / night color , 2 way audio , acces via phone or pc ,and records to dropcams server . Think it was $140
I second the dropcam, I use 2 of them for my home security purposes. The 2-way audio is handy for waking the teenage boy from the couch to get his chores done before I get home.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
We also have cameras that feed to both the internet and to a dvr type recorder that will save for as long as we program it to save. The problem with the live feed is that you have to be watching it which can get to be a nuisance unless there is little traffic around the location. You can purchase systems fairly cheap, you want to make sure you have night vision good quality camera's or your images will likely not be enough to assist you in the event you capture something law enforcement needs to follow up on.

Suggestion: Get good quality camera's and system. A camera has never stopped the crime, only recorded it for others to watch and possibly act on.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
We also have cameras that feed to both the internet and to a dvr type recorder that will save for as long as we program it to save. The problem with the live feed is that you have to be watching it which can get to be a nuisance unless there is little traffic around the location. You can purchase systems fairly cheap, you want to make sure you have night vision good quality camera's or your images will likely not be enough to assist you in the event you capture something law enforcement needs to follow up on.

Suggestion: Get good quality camera's and system. A camera has never stopped the crime, only recorded it for others to watch and possibly act on.
That's why you need motion sensors to alert you to activity.

My camera resulted in a Robbery collar. And the guy deserved it. Robbed a 12 year old of a cell phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts