New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in 1996 I was convicted of a non criminal offense (dis con 240.20) after being charged with a class B misdemeanor. 160.55 sealing normally seals the fingerprints in the system so that it does not show on a background check

I understand however that if fingerprinted thru NY DCJS for a pistol permit, the record will not be sealed because pistol permit applications are the exception to the 160.55 sealing law

if i am fingerprinted for a pistol permit in a state outside NY, will the arrest still show up? i ran my prints thru the FBI CJIS system and my fingerprint card was returned to me marked :"no arrest record", this could have been due to the fact that NY sent an expungement order to the FBI after my record was sealed

is my sealed record at NY DCJS accessible to other states? would an out of NY check go thru the FBI where my arrest is supposed to be expunged?

how does this work?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You might try and call the NY DCIS and FBI and ask them. In don't see what the big deal is on small piddle **** convictions with getting a pistol permit. As long as you can buy a handgun you should be able to get a damn permit. It ain't like you went out and killed someone.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
In my understanding, if you were fingerprinted in NYS (or anywhere really), even if you weren't convicted of the crime, you SHOULD DEFINITELY report this on your PP application. Sealed? HA HA HA. We're talking about the gubmint. The DHS, NSA, IRS, etc. If you honestly believe they sealed your record because they told you so, then you need to understand that you're accepting this information from a French model on the interwebz.

All kidding aside, don't report it, don't get your permit approved. Report it, you'll at least prove you don't lie. Remember, the question reads, have you been arrested? It doesn't ask if you were convicted.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Just disclose it. They'll find out anyway. Its either on the FBI database or they have your fingerprints on file, or both. If you fail to disclose they will absolutely not issue you a permit EVER because of your lack of character. Don't give them any reason to not issue you a permit. This state does NOT want you to have one and they look for any stupid reason they can not to give you one.

If the record was sealed, then it probably wont be viewed as a big deal by the licensing bureau. They may ask you some extra question about it but that's it. Even NYS doesn't require you to be a total angel to get a pistol, but you cannot lie about anything on that form.

Also: if you don't disclose it and they reject your application, you would not get that hefty $340 fee back either.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
As I wrote in other threads about any questionable activity and applying for a Pistol Permit in New Yorkistan, I'd reccommend saving up the money for a 2nd Ammendment Lawyer in case you need one if you get denied. If you get denied and don't fight it you'll NEVER GET ONE! If you get the permit without the use of the lawyer go on a Hundgun Shopping Spree, Kimber 1911 - $1'100, Ruger Sp101 - $500, 9mm Auto - $550. Lawyer probably $2'500. Your dealing with an "Anti-Gun" Empire ran by Anti-Gun Democraps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts