New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know I'll get the answer just go try it, but I wanted some info, opinions, and BS before I dive into it.
Being so close to Ben Avery its hard not to want to try out shooting in comps for me. They have NRA smallbore and highpower silhouette here. I shot a version of this match back in CA and really loved it. In CA it was shooting semi auto military guns prone with a bi-pod. So it was very easy to jump into. Now here doing the NRA rules its offhand, no slings. I'm pretty sure my .308 is just under the weight limit. (weighed myself then me with the gun on the bathroom scale) but it is heavy! But I love shooting steel, because a hit is a hit, unlike paper where a hit can be a 8-7-6 etc. Also furthest target is 500 meters, just long enough to make it hard but no so long that its super frustrating to even hit the target.
First is my setup good for this style of shooting? Again the weight limit is 10.2 pounds and I'm good there, just wondering if anything else is off for this type of match.
Rem 700 Varmint .308
Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 scope
Boyds Thumbhole stock with a super custom cheek riser I made
168g HPBT match bullets

Any tips to better my off hand shooting and hold? I was taught when I was young to let the scope fall into place on the target then shoot instead of trying to hold it still on a spot.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you see the rear sight combined with the front sight (no matter what eye, which hand, etc.), then you will get there where they are aligned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read it, and I don't think it's nonsense. I'm still new at this and can't give you a definite answer. But something tells me that your setup fits this style. By the way, surprisingly, I thought when I was young, I was the only one taught to let the sight drop on the target and then shoot rather than try to hold it in place - a great tactic. I want to share with you my first hunting experience. At a great distance, I spotted some strange game, helped by my best scope at 1000 yards; it was fast and agile, had a long tail, and attractive skin coloring. I did not manage to catch this prey but even watching it was fascinating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts