New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Buffalo) January 3, 2013 - The Shooters Committee on Political Education (SCOPE NY) a New York State Not For Profit Volunteer Organization dedicated to the preservation of the Second Amendment Rights for New York Citizens, joined two dozen other gun rights advocate groups across the country today in sending an important letter* to the members of Congress urging them to protect the 2[SUP]nd [/SUP]Amendment. >>>MORE>>

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Good to see an orginization doing something here in NY. I like this little jab:

"Some will urge you to "compromise," perhaps even the National Rifle Association. The many thousands of gun rights supporters represented by the Coalition, however, regard "compromise," as our opposition defines it, to be a process in which we lose slightly fewer of our rights than under the original proposal. Consequently, any legislation which registers or bans firearms; limits magazine capacity; registers private transactions through NICS; or restricts time, place or manner of self-defense is unacceptable."

I may have finally found the organization to join now.

Edit: And NOPE, they require an NRA membership. :( So close too. :/

·
Registered
624 Posts
Congress set up the terms and design of the NICS system. Background checks can only be run by Dealers registered to use the system, no one else. I can just see passage of legislation requiring private sales to run a check; the only way that can happen is through a dealer, that said, most will just ignore the law and sell what they want to whoever they want.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Congress set up the terms and design of the NICS system. Background checks can only be run by Dealers registered to use the system, no one else. I can just see passage of legislation requiring private sales to run a check; the only way that can happen is through a dealer, that said, most will just ignore the law and sell what they want to whoever they want.
All the way until registration also passes. :/

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Good to see an orginization doing something here in NY. I like this little jab:

"Some will urge you to "compromise," perhaps even the National Rifle Association. The many thousands of gun rights supporters represented by the Coalition, however, regard "compromise," as our opposition defines it, to be a process in which we lose slightly fewer of our rights than under the original proposal. Consequently, any legislation which registers or bans firearms; limits magazine capacity; registers private transactions through NICS; or restricts time, place or manner of self-defense is unacceptable."

I may have finally found the organization to join now.

Edit: And NOPE, they require an NRA membership. :( So close too. :/
Looking at the form (without going through and trying to fill it out), it doesn't look like NRA membership is required (there's no * by it). Did you try not marking anything?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I joined SCOPE a few weeks ago and I did not fill in my NRA number. You do *not* have to be a member of the NRA to join SCOPE.

But, not to derail too much, you would not have ANY guns if not for the existence of the NRA. I think it isn't asking too much for you to get over whatever gripes you have with them in exchange for all of the gun rights you've ever had or ever will have.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I joined SCOPE a few weeks ago and I did not fill in my NRA number. You do *not* have to be a member of the NRA to join SCOPE.

But, not to derail too much, you would not have ANY guns if not for the existence of the NRA. I think it isn't asking too much for you to get over whatever gripes you have with them in exchange for all of the gun rights you've ever had or ever will have.
Well that is good news, because I don't agree that, given what the NRA has been doing for NY, they have really done that much to save firearms. So they give some gun clubs money? That's like breaking your leg, then giving you crutch and saying "see, we ARE good!" Even at the national level. The first AWB passed...

I will look into SCOPE again when my next paycheck comes now.

Looking at the form (without going through and trying to fill it out), it doesn't look like NRA membership is required (there's no * by it). Did you try not marking anything?
Well the web form designer wasn't really experienced. Those "Radio Buttons" typically signify that one item MUST be selected from the list. I did not try for that reason.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.Well the web form designer wasn't really experienced. Those "Radio Buttons" typically signify that one item MUST be selected from the list. I did not try for that reason.
Go back and take a look now.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Go back and take a look now.
Nice. :) Is that you running it? You could have still had the "Life/Yearly" options, but made them checkboxes and said "Please select any that apply." Considering the organization actually LISTENED to a NYer, I will join as soon as possible. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is an good letter and I hope similar letters from them follow. It would be nice to see responses from the pro-2A congress members indicating what actions they will take to stop these proposed bans. Seeing my membership fees at work like this, I'm glad that I signed up with SCOPE last month. I'll be sure to donate again this weekend at the Rochester gun show if I make it, otherwise I'll drop a check in the mail.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good stuff, Just joined

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really suggest that you guys try and go to a chapter meeting.
Talk about upcoming legislation and spreading the word.
If you are willing you can start a chapter in counties that don't have one yet.
The State Group will assist you in getting is started.
There is annual members meeting being planned now. Probably in April.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.