New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 11, 2014

SCOPE president Stephen Aldstadt calls for immediate shutdown of the new York State Police NY SAFE Act hotline. "We are getting reports from the public and our members of incomplete or inconsistent information, creating even more confusion about many aspects of this law. There is a fundamental problem with the "hotline" concept. The offer of a "hotline" for questions lures people to contact the very organization responsible for the investigation and leveling of criminal charges. Competing with the claim of "helping" people to understand, in particular, the SAFE Act, is the highly publicized offer of reward moneys for tips for violations of the SAFE Act. The NYSP cannot and should not try to be both the lawyer for a potential defendant and the enforcement arm of the Governor.

Shooters Committee On Political Education | S.C.O.P.E.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The " hotline " that turns legal people into criminals should be taken down as it doesn't add to the " states legal interest of public safety " . The phrase of " states legal interest of public safety " has constitutional connotations that impede on citizens rights as determined by SCOTUS in Heller . There is no such animal in any ruling by the court as per Scalia in his opinion in Heller .

·
Registered
293 Posts
And despite being the ones charged with enforcing the law, they won't stand behind anything they tell you on the hotline. Useless.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It really is kind of silly. To call for advice and get told "we can't offer any legal advice".

The law makes you a felon. Was there some other goddamned advice we'd be calling about?

Carpet stains, tomato blight, how to make four thousand dollars per month working from home, my sister did this. What would we call about other to how to stay legal gun owners.

Close the silly charade down.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
So why hasn't NYSRPA figured this out yet?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We've been saying this same thing since they put this hotline live.... Really? This long to finally present this fact?

Man I can't believe how SLOW this whole this mess is taking to fight with common sense.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I get the feeling that the NRA and the NYSPRA have been in bed with the enemy all along. The NRA has done nothing for this state and Tom King had made statements against us is in the past. Perhaps SCOPE is our only hope as far as major pro gun organizations are concerned.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I get the feeling that the NRA and the NYSPRA have been in bed with the enemy all along. The NRA has done nothing for this state and Tom King had made statements against us is in the past. Perhaps SCOPE is our only hope as far as major pro gun organizations are concerned.
Are you a wizard?

J/k, thanks for being logical about these 2 scheming groups.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Are you a wizard?

J/k, thanks for being logical about these 2 scheming groups.
It's been something I've been saying all along regarding the NRA writing us off since before Unsafe regarding AWB#1 and the Sullivan act and have gotten kind of bashed for it with arguments like," That's all we have and you need to contribute." ect.... ect....

My post was meant as a sort of I told you so.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It's been something I've been saying all along regarding the NRA writing us off since before Unsafe regarding AWB#1 and the Sullivan act and have gotten kind of bashed for it with arguments like," That's all we have and you need to contribute." ect.... ect....

My post was meant as a sort of I told you so.
Welcome to the club. Did you know universal BGCs was supported by the NRA before the extreme outrage?

Just don't get me started in the next disappointment. Like we don't all know.

As for "THATS ALL WE HAVE!", indeed, but why? I personally hate most of the NRA's nonsense. Do we not have other groups like SCOPE?

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Caller ID + SAFE ACT hotline. Any questions? Make your calls from your ex-wife's house.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
That's like the Jews calling the NAZIs for advice on how not to get into trouble with the NAZI's

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Welcome to the club. Did you know universal BGCs was supported by the NRA before the extreme outrage?

Just don't get me started in the next disappointment. Like we don't all know.

As for "THATS ALL WE HAVE!", indeed, but why? I personally hate most of the NRA's nonsense. Do we not have other groups like SCOPE?
I think that NRA support for universal BGC may be kind of misleading. I do not think any NRA official supported what was actually proposed in Manchin-Toomey, but there were a lot of things on the table before that point.

If UBGCs were truly universal (meaning NICS is open to the public free of charge) and the BGC was *not* tied to the 4473 or any other gun details, trading that situation for something like taking suppressors out of NFA, opening the MG registry and passing CC reciprocity would probably fly politically. It would still be wrong morally, but every person needs to decide if they will let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

SAF and NRA went to Washington to work on a compromise, where both sides have something to gain. What the Dem Senate tried to push was capitulation, which clearly the NRA did not support.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
just think, NY is the biggest chapter of NRA members and we have the worst results. Why do I donate money to them? I love the fact that the NRa didnt bring the lawsuit directly.Wouldnt want to tarnish the brand ha??

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Hey ya know it would be nice if they ya know sent Robby Aster-RINO some cash wouldn't it? Save them a ton in ""pretend legal fees""

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
some how I feel that my rights are being violated ! that I have more restriction than lets say someone in texas. is there some kind of discrimination going on here in ny ? also where was the necessity did Andy have some inside info that something was going to happen . also sp they are not lawmakers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts