New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the net and get mixed results. So many type of air guns and I'm getting confused. Some shoot plastic bb's, some shoot metal bb's and some shoot pellets. I'm looking for something to plink with and kill critters. I'm not looking for a CO2 powered gun because it is expensive so what is the best one? Some have rifled barrels that shoot both metal bb's and pellets and some just have non-rifled barrels. Then you have different size metal bb's and pellets, WTF?!!! What non-CO2 guns will give me the best FPS? When I was a kid, all I used was my dad's pump bb rifle. I also do not want single shot.

Thanks, James

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I haven't been on the BB/Airsoft gun kick in a long time, since the real guns are so much more fun. What I do know though is that the plastic BB guns, known as Airsoft, are not for anything other than shooting friends in matches/tipping cans over. You can shoot one right into your leg point blank and it won't break skin. The "real" deal are the bb/pellet guns. For hunting/plinking you probably want one that shoots Pelllets (for hunting) and or BBs (for plinking). If you go to a site with a huge selection, I used to use PyramydAir.com, you can look around and find all kings of guns in all kinds of actions for all kinds of purposes, both Airsoft and Real metal BB/Pellet.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Also as an added note, the only thing you will find that is not a single shot and doesn't require gas is going to be the electric airsoft guns, which won't kill a fly (literally) so you are either going to have to go gas powered or single shot pump gun, I don't know of a BB/Pellet repeater that can re-cock itself with no external help from gas or your hands.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
There are repeaters that can be charged from SCUBA tanks but they are expensive because of the tank purchase. We have a gent at our club that shoots these guns, super accurate. GAMO makes some nice single shot guns that require just breaking open to cock and they have FPS numbers up near .22LR guns. I shoot a very old BSA/Ithaca single shot, single cock pellet gun that shoots around 900 FPS with .177 pellets and is grooved to accept a scope. It's my bird feeder defender. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get a crosman pellet gun with a pump (no co2). Get hunting pellets. I think Bass Pro has it all. I have a nice co2 powered one I would trade for real steel, if that interests you.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I am no expert but I have one of the older .22 caliber Gamos and it is very good to take all sort of pests silently. can shoot a 26gr pellet
at 1200 fps.
I have taken large crows, squierrels and fox. Some people take pigs with them with the copper tip pellets but you have to get into the 25 to 30 yard range. For larger game you need to look into the .25 caliber and up or just the larger PCP .45 caliber. Those are pretty cool, silent but expensive.
Single shot break barrel are simple, affordable and very effective in those places like backyards where firearms cannot be discharged.
Check with local regulations regarding airguns.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking more into a handgun than a rifle. But I guess due to the design, rifle has more choices. I looked up pneumatic air rifles and holy crap!!! I had no idea these things were so expensive!

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts