New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still waiting on my pistol permit in schenectady county:(

Fingerprinted first week of August
Letter from sheriffs received September 16th, letter stated I would receive my appointment date to meet with judge in 30-90 days. 90 days was December 16th...haven't received that letter...115 days and counting.....

also, anybody in the are have good experiences with any of the LGS, haven't really met any friendly salespeople and it's a little discouraging.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Have you tried Zacks Sporting Goods on RT. 9? Their staff is friendly enough. Same with Oakwood tradering post outside Troy. I almost got sweet talked into buying a 1911 there. That was a close one. My wife would have murdered me. lol

I heard that one of the clerks who handles the pistol permits is retiring, leaving only one person. That might have something to do with the delay. When I got mine permit in May they mentioned that they have more applications in the 1st qtr if 2013 then all of 2012.

Another option is to go to one of the LGS to try on a gun you like, then see if you can get one from GunBroker.com. I've had really good luck there with two guns, actually saved money including shipping and transfer fees then if I had gone to a LGS. I'd recommend Bob at FireFly Firearms in Schenectady to do the transfer. Great guy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You are going to be waiting a while. I have my interview with Judge Versaci tomorrow, and I got fingerprinted the first week of June. They are doing group interviews, and they send you to the county clerk right afterwards to get your permit. I called the pistol permit office in the beginning of December, and the lady said they were swamped. I would probably expect you to receive your letter within the next month.

I have mixed reviews of all the LGS stores in the area. I am a PA transplant (living in NY for 5 years), and I have been to Zack Sports, Taylor and Vadney, and Target Sports. I ended up buying my M&P 9 from Taylor and Vadney, and I negotiated the price with them. I have bought ammo from Target, but I buy all my long guns in PA, because the sales tax is cheaper, and the overall prices are cheaper. Maybe someone else can shed some light as to what their preferred location is to go to. My coworker highly recommended The Oakwood Trading Post, but I have never been there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you tried Zacks Sporting Goods on RT. 9? Their staff is friendly enough. Same with Oakwood tradering post outside Troy. I almost got sweet talked into buying a 1911 there. That was a close one. My wife would have murdered me. lol

I heard that one of the clerks who handles the pistol permits is retiring, leaving only one person. That might have something to do with the delay. When I got mine permit in May they mentioned that they have more applications in the 1st qtr if 2013 then all of 2012.

Another option is to go to one of the LGS to try on a gun you like, then see if you can get one from GunBroker.com. I've had really good luck there with two guns, actually saved money including shipping and transfer fees then if I had gone to a LGS. I'd recommend Bob at FireFly Firearms in Schenectady to do the transfer. Great guy.
You go to your LGS to try their product and then buy from Gun Broker ???? No wonder they are not happy & friendly to you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You go to your LGS to try their product and then buy from Gun Broker ???? No wonder they are not happy & friendly to you.
I go check prices. Try on a gun if they have one in stock, yes. Would you buy anything without shopping around that costs $500 or $600? I've purchased guns from these stores when they have what I'm looking for in stock at a resonable price compared to what I can find it else where. I'm always buy something when I'm there anyways. I don't think its a waste of their time.

B&J's won't even tell you a price over the phone so I have no problem looking at a gun there and then driving to Zacks to see if they have the same gun at a better price.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Letter from sheriffs received September 16th, letter stated I would receive my appointment date to meet with judge in 30-90 days. 90 days was December 16th...haven't received that letter...115 days and counting.....

also, anybody in the are have good experiences with any of the LGS, haven't really met any friendly salespeople and it's a little discouraging.
Most of the gun store personal in this area are very poor, owners included. Maybe they will come around as $$ volume drops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already purchased a Glock 19 G4 from a LGS, they were very informative, but I just felt like I was another customer to them. I had a very bad experience @ B&J and it seems like the same owner actually owns a few of the other stores in the area.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have already purchased a Glock 19 G4 from a LGS, they were very informative, but I just felt like I was another customer to them. I had a very bad experience @ B&J and it seems like the same owner actually owns a few of the other stores in the area.
My experiences have not been as good lately, either, but there is always 10 other people in the stores, too. Excellent customer service is hard when trying to serve a steady flow of rapid gun customers, such as myself. Lol

·
Registered
262 Posts

The whole process averages around six months. As far as LGS's I've bought from all depending on what I was looking for, except for T&V because they couldn't be bothered to help my wife when she was looking for something and left her standing there why they were BSing, I won't buy anything from them. I've noticed that B&J's and Oakwood have some higher quality guns like Sigs and HK, Kimber and Zacks usually has low to midrange M&P's, Ruger some sigs once and awhile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, not to jump off topic but are any you signed up for the new capital district scope chapter that they are looking to start? If so I'm interested in learning more

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just got my M&P9 and pistol permit today. The reason for the backlog is the amount of work they had to do. They average 200 permit applications a year, and in 2013, they had over 800. Also, a typical year has 1500 amendments done, and in 2013, there were over 5000. This was straight from the clerk's office.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got my M&P9 and pistol permit today. The reason for the backlog is the amount of work they had to do. They average 200 permit applications a year, and in 2013, they had over 800. Also, a typical year has 1500 amendments done, and in 2013, there were over 5000. This was straight from the clerk's office.
Thanks for the update, where did you purchase your M&P?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the update, where did you purchase your M&P?
I bought mine at Taylor and Vadney. I have heard of some people having issues with them, but I have never had a problem with them, and they have a decent amount of ammo and pistols in stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My fiancé is going through the process now as well, we both purchased ours from Target Sports, Colin is very knowledgable and was very helpful. I guess that's about all you can ask for right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My fiancé is going through the process now as well, we both purchased ours from Target Sports, Colin is very knowledgable and was very helpful. I guess that's about all you can ask for right?
Good to know as much as I like Zack's I will be buying my pistol from Targets it's only a 3 min. drive from my house.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Why do you have to meet with the Judge? I live in Chautauqua County, received my permit in 71/2 months. We aren't required to meet with a Judge. Just curious, Thanks.
This is something that Judge Versaci set up instead of having law enforcement do phone or personal interviews. He takes handgun ownership very seriously, and he wants to make sure that the applicant is aware the power of owning such a weapon. My interview was a group interview, and he educated us on issues such as storage and what to do and don't do when it comes to testing your restrictions on your permit. It was actually a very informative session, and he holds a question/answer session at the end. I actually appreciated him holding such a group session/interview, because it gave us a close-up legal view of our permits and responsibilities as handgun owners within NYS, plus there were a few questions asking about the unSAFE Act that were brought up. He even admitted that he expects the Supreme Court to take this case up, because it is so flawed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Friend dropped off her application yesterday and they gave her an appointment for prints late October, then the 6month waiting period here in Nassau County. This is just ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.