New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just posted this but I thought it needed its' own thread since everyone is so depressed about the recent federal court ruling out of Buffalo upholding a large part of the Safe Act. I wanted to cheer you up and try to explain why I think we are going to win in the end and why I believe this so strongly. This pessimism is too much. The Supreme Court is a unique institution but everything it does is determined by the views of the justices. Everything turns on this.

So please everyone who is not experienced about the SCOTUS and how it works who keeps saying they won't take the case and feels like we have no chance please read this one article alone about Scalia's recent PUBLIC comments about the scope of the Second Amendment. I have absolutely confirmed he has made these comments more than once. The Supremes never say anything they haven't thought about very carefully. This is what he believes. Even though this is written by an anti-gun person it still shows Scalia's view. The view of the justices determines how they vote before the case will even be heard.

Now I ask everyone who claims we don't have a good chance to win on so-called "assault weapons" and other related firearms items including magazines READ THIS ARTICLE AND THEN COME BACK AND TELL ME YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT. And his view is shared by four other justices. Five is all we need! Stop armchair lawyering folks!

Justice Scalia Goes Gun Crazy - The Daily Beast

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know. How long before the case hits SCOTUS? Like seventy bajillion years? If the law is overruled then do we get to come out of prison?

ETA: Oh he is 77 yep we are in trouble ;)
That's not the positive thoughts I was trying to engender. We have two choices, fight regardless of how long it takes, or give up and let them win. Which one can you live with?

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure we have a chance, but Scalia is only 1 of 9, we need 5. Facts are facts, aren't they?
The facts on semi-auto rifles are already known. No way they are unusually dangerous and they are in common use. Cannot be banned period. It is a slam dunk if we don't change any of the conservative justices. Otherwise, well I don't even want to think what will happen then.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
That's not the positive thoughts I was trying to engender. We have two choices, fight regardless of how long it takes, or give up and let them win. Which one can you live with?
You don't always get what you want, Shooter.
We have more than enough to support the idea that these court cases aren't going anywhere fast. We are suppose to put full faith in a corrupt court system now? You can not blame anyone for being discontent.

The only fight those of us who aren't plaintiffs can do is voting, and raising awareness. Just because we think the court system sucks, and has no chance, doesn't mean we aren't still fighting. But that particular ball is in your court, the court is your field of play not ours.

EDIT:
I don't want this post to seem like I don't support or care about the cases. I sincerely hope they work out, and truly thank all of the parties involved for their time and dedication. However, you can not blame me for being unsure of the outcome.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I really appreciate what you're trying to do, but the Supreme Court answer is still kinda scary for the reasons everyone is stating. What I think will really matter is the next presidential election. It seems the sweet spot of the bell curve between Justice life expectancies and SAFE act moving through the system is probably between 2016 and 2020.

Maybe we should be focusing our energies on making sure Hillary doesn't win in 2016...

· Registered
897 Posts
I like the last time he was interviewed about the 2A and he said something to the effect everything except rocket launchers or missiles should be allowed for our use. He also commented that he has even taken Justice Sotomayor big game hunting and she's a pretty good shot. Pretty funny since she was an Obummer appointee .

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scalia and Kennedy will both be 78 in 2014. Breyer 76 and Ginsburg (who alreadys looks dead) 81.
Breyer and Ginsburg already voted against us on Heller. They are lost to us already. If they are replaced, it will have no significance. And cor_man I understand you don't always get what you want but your point is not what I was getting at. Yes, it will take years for a ruling from SCOTUS, but we will get it and we will win if the justices stay healthy. That is victory for us, it will just take time.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the last time he was interviewed about the 2A and he said something to the effect everything except rocket launchers or missiles should be allowed for our use. He also commented that he has even taken Justice Sotomayor big game hunting and she's a pretty good shot. Pretty funny since she was an Obummer appointee .
Yes this is correct. In my humble opinion, this one speech by Scalia tells us more about our chances of victory than anything else that has happened since the Safe Act was passed. These are the things that matter the most, everything else is almost irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.