New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I can dig that, but I would care for having to load .22lr in a break action like that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have an old Savage model 24....its a break open single shot over and under. 22LR over 20 ga. Good starter gun for a youngster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Didn't know about it until I saw this post, I picked one up @ the Syracuse show this past weekend. I found two vendors that had them, haggled some + ended up buying from Tim's Guns / Elbridge for what I consider a fair price compared to an Internet buy, an easy purchase. I've had an early on Rem / Baikal SPR 94 22lr / 410, it's been used all along, very nice with the interchangeable chokes but thought this might be a little more user friendly . First impressions: wish it were more compact than 36", but it's thin + easy enough to handle / shoulder (13 1/2" pull)...tight construction-seems well made...it's balanced an inch forward of center, a tad barrel heavy but not bad...I am use to external hammer-transfer bars, not familiar with an always opened-rebound hammer / may take some getting use to...crisp-semi robust trigger...not impressed with the cheap plastic sights / extractor bar, but like the 22 lr / 410 selector and the open lever.. Maybe for some, but not a deal killer for me is that this it is not a breakdown - barrel from frame gun (check page 5 / section 3 - Loading in the manual / link below) which I find odd for a breech - break open shotty, not sure why this gun is so...? According to Gunblast it appears to be a cylinder bore..it's not noted on the 410 barrel / I will be checking it out tomorrow...

Here's a link to a quick-view pdf of the Savage 42's manual...Layout 1...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...&sig=AHIEtbRoBbZREvR4zSj81WChU8cJiur2hg&pli=1

I was told @ the show that Tim's had ordered both the 22 lr + mag versions but had not received any mags as of Sat / Sept 15....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts