New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed how picky their Savage Mark II in .22LR was about ammo. I've been shooting the cheap 36gr. Federal bulk ammo for a long time, but I never shot paper much. I was trying to get the gun to group the other day, and the best it would do from a bench was 1.5"-2" at 30 yds. I switched to CCI blazer bulk, same thing.

I then tried some CCI Mini-mags, and boom, 1" was the biggest spread I got out of three groups. Other 2 groups were approx. .75". I know there's a quality difference in the ammunition, but wow, what a difference. Anyone else had similar a experience with their Savage?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
pretty much everyone will notice the same thing. Try Wolf Match or Eley match ammo. It isn't realy a "quality" issue it is a consistency issue. To get the best groups you want your bullets to be the same weight, case to be the same specs, and a consistent amount of powder.

Edit: plus every gun will "like" a certain ammo better than other types, find which ammo groups best out of your gun.

This is a 3 shot group at 50 yards with Wolf Match from a 10/22 I built my wife. My mkII shoots similar sized groups.
10-22.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's an impressive group for 22LR at 50 yds!

I guess it's not at all surprising that cheaper ammo isn't as consistent as more expensive ammo. I think the biggest surprise for me was that the groups were that bad at that short of a range. 2" is enough to miss a woodchuck if I'm going for a head shot. I was beginning to wonder if I had a problem with the gun.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just got a Savage Mk II. With Winchester Wildcat (40 gr, 1255 fps, LRN) I was able to get a few 1.25" groups at 100 yards on a windy day bench rest with a Harris Bi-pod and a rolled towel at the rear.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Also remember that when the .22 bullet breaks that good old sound barrier the disturbance it creates will toss the bullet around a little standard velocity and sub sonic (below 1100 fps) ammo will be inherently more accurate because of this ... to the OP stearn786 if you can't find Wolf Match or Eley match grab a box of CCI SV and your groups will be even smaller .... then when you pick up some Wolf Match or Eley match they will shrink even more.
Subsonic, which also includes "target" or "match" loads, at nominal speeds below 1,100 ft/s (340 m/s).
Standard-velocity: 1,000–1,135 ft/s (300–346 m/s). Common velocities are around 1,125 ft/s (343 m/s).

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i find that my grouping problems with my MKII (with both bulk federal/remington and wolf match) are 100% caused by me. I'll try it with front/rear support next time and see how it goes!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was me too, until I shot my Marlin 17hmr at the same distance on the same rest, and I could have covered 5 shots with a dime. At that point I figured either the barrel crown was messed up or the gun doesn't like Federal bulk. I'll have to try some sub-sonics or match ammo sometime just to see what the gun is capable of.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark II stainless, no Accutrigger, non-heavy barrel. I really need to invest in a decent scope, its got a crap Simmons on it that gets fuzzy after 50 yds. I think the model is FSS if I remember right.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's possible. It was the first gun I ever bought, and it's had a ton of rounds through it. I would like to get some match ammo and see just what it can do though. I wish .17hmr ammo was cheaper, I'd spend a lot more time shooting paper with my 17VS. :empty:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Might try a very good cleaning of the gun espically the barrel and then try different ammo and see what you get.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If you really clean the barrel good you should put 20 rounds or so through it before you start grouping. A .22lr will group tighter when the barrel is leaded up a little. You will see the groups get tighter. I only clean the barrel when I notice my groups start to open up and only use a bore snake just to get the exsesive crap out of the barrel. I also use the bore snake once before I try different ammo while I see what the rifle likes. I test as many types of ammo I can on a new rifle and they all like different types. Out of 10 types I usually find 2 that the rifle likes and 1 it really really likes.

I had a 22 that would not group any ammo well and know it had to be the gun so I sold it.

I shot this group last weekend out of a ruger 77/22, 10 rounds at 50 yards. Remington green tag target. First time I tried this ammo and it was very accurate but it groups regular Federal great and Federal match the best.
003.jpg

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
GUNSICK1 makes some really good points my Winchester 52 likes Wolf after cleaning it take about 20/30 rounds to get tight I shoot it till the groups start opening up clean it and start all over, my Ruger 77/22 liked RWS (win 52 not-so-much) then I just put a Shilen barrel on it and the journey begins anew! Also important is your breathing and trigger hold!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
GUNSICK1 makes some really good points my Winchester 52 likes Wolf after cleaning it take about 20/30 rounds to get tight I shoot it till the groups start opening up clean it and start all over, my Ruger 77/22 liked RWS (win 52 not-so-much) then I just put a Shilen barrel on it and the journey begins anew! Also important is your breathing and trigger hold!
Let me know how that new barrel shoots compared to the stock one once you get things worked out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might try a very good cleaning of the gun espically the barrel and then try different ammo and see what you get.
Yeah, if it ever warms up I'll shoot it some more and see how good the groups are. Too cold and too windy where I live for shooting today!:(

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
That's not being picky. The remington and federal value packs are total junk when it comes to consistency.
I have actually measured some of these with the chrono and spreads are all over the place.
Then when you switch to the CCI that is more consistent then you see what happens.
The little savage is capable of groups well below MOA. Give the proper ammo to match that potential.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts