New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Better how? Value for $? Axis 1 or 2? Better is very subjective. The 11 is an overall better rifle but costs more.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

I actually just had this debate with myself buying my father a rifle for Christmas. Do yourself a favor. Handle both. Upon handling the 11 TH, after the Axis...just, go with the 11. Just feeling the bolt material made my decision. Add to that the fact that the 11 often comes packaged with a far better scope and, just go 11.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've handled both at the gun counter and I liked the 11. For the price difference I would recommend the 11/111 TH combo.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Only reason to go with an Axis is to save money. But it may good enough for your needs. I've got an 11 and my brother has an Axis. He handled both but he only shoots when deer season is getting close. If you plan on putting much more than a box per year through it, get the 11.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Unless price is your primary concern, the 10 series action is a better piece of hardware than the Axis action. Both actions have some parts that interchange, and they can use the same barrels if you want to switch barrels at some point.

The biggest difference IMO - the position of the mag well relative to the front action screw. The Axis style mags latch inside the stock very close to the front action screw, which means skim bedding an Axis action is a bit more difficult, but pillar bedding an Axis stock is very difficult - there is just not much material between the pillar and the mag well.

Some other differences - the Axis uses a recoil lug that inserts into both the stock and action, the lug on the 10 is compressed between the action and barrel nut. The 10 action has a primary extraction cam, the Axis does not (not really important IMO, I do not shoot overpressure loads). The ejection port on the Axis is much smaller which is probably not as convenient for single loading rounds.

The Axis is a great deal if you want a general purpose hunting and range rifle. More aftermarket gear is becoming available for them all the time, and they have a reputation for good accuracy at the price point they sell at.

If you want an action that can be made into more of a precision rifle with some additional work, the 10 series actions are the better bet. Also, if you want an upscale factory stock or other specific configurations, a 10 series rifle is your choice.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Price isn't much of an issue but I cant find a left handed model 10. All they seem to have in left hand is the axis&11.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Price isn't much of an issue but I cant find a left handed model 10. All they seem to have in left hand is the axis&11.
I think the 10 and 11 are the same, but 11 is short action, and 10 is long.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think the 10 and 11 are the same, but 11 is short action, and 10 is long.
Two digit models are short action while three digit is long action. I'm still unclear about what makes a 10 versus an 11. Features like stock and magazine seem to run the gamut in both the 10 and 11. Seems like what comes after the numbers is what matters most.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a 111 in .300WM, a friend has an axis in .223. difference is night and day between the feel of the action. Go with the 11 IMO, better rifle (and still a hell of a value for the firearm) Aftermarket items for the 111 are limited but more things are becoming available all the time. Check out savage shooters also, lots of great info on Savage firearms. It seems that many people there also use Sharp Shooters Supply for work in their Savage rifles. I'm not affiliated with either, just like my Savage and building it up little by little. GL with your decision.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The model 10, 11 and 12 ect start with the same action from there they change things like barrels and stocks to come up with a new model.
basically they are grouped as such for the most part:

model 10 are heavy barrel
model 11 are more a sporter style
model 12 are varmint style
model 14 is the classic design
model 16 is a stainless version

as another has already stated the two digit designs are short action where the three digit models are long action. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also the letter after the numbers help describe the rifle for example: B=laminated stock or BT=laminated thumbhole stock or C/CI=detachable mag and F=synthetic stock and G=hardwoodstocks and SS=stainless steel XP= package deal these are a few of the.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To answer the original posters question the axis is IMO a large step below the "11" by far. The cost is not that much more while the platform is way better on the 11. The axis is a price point firearm nothing more nothing less

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The model 10, 11 and 12 ect start with the same action from there they change things like barrels and stocks to come up with a new model.
basically they are grouped as such for the most part:

model 10 are heavy barrel
model 11 are more a sporter style
model 12 are varmint style
model 14 is the classic design
model 16 is a stainless version

as another has already stated the two digit designs are short action where the three digit models are long action. Hope this helps.
This is pretty much it. 10s are "tactical" styled more or less, 11s are general purpose/hunting, 12 are target/varmint, 14s are classic wood/bluing.

I believe that Savage basically has about 4 different types of actions - Axis, 10 series, 25 series and target. The 10 series is what most centerfire Savage/Stevens are built on. The Axis action is similar to the 10 series with two action screws, a floating bolt head, etc. The target action is essentially a more rigid version of the 10 series action with three action screws, with some actions having ports open on both sides of the action. The 25 action is similar to the rimfire 93 series action, with a solid bolt and tube steel receiver and the bolt handle attached in the middle of the bolt rather than at the rear like the other actions.

If you are looking for a new Savage to build on as you go, the best deal now seems to be the 11 FCNS. While the Axis is a fine rifle for its purpose, when it came out Savage discontinued the Stevens 300 which was similar to the current 11 FCNS but less expensive.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts or comments on the Savage 11 hoghunter?
I like the idea of the 20 inch medium barrel although I would prefer a bull barrel.
I have no intention of keeping the barrel and action in the factory stock if I go with the 11 hoghunter. My end goal is to throw it in the MDT LSS chassis.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you do not intend on keeping the stock or barrel, maybe it makes sense to check gunbroker for a rifle with the correct action length and boltface and have it rebarreled. Savages are well built for the money, but the real advantage is that changes to barrels and boltfaces can be done with less work and in less time than similarly priced rifles. Even some rebarreled Rem 700s will be configured for a barrel nut, and although the Howa action has a slick bolt and integrated recoil lug, rebarreling the action is no small matter.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Savage 10/110 is wooden stock savage 11/111 is polymer stock. Double digits are short action triple digits are long action. Barrels are the same profile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe most all of the 10's are synthetic made mostly as target and tactical models. As far as the axis I would stay clear, while these may look to have a beefier action its really just the fat kid on the playground looking for a model 10 or 11, well pretty much any other action to kick its butt. The Axis use to be the Edge which Savage installed a plastic sleeve between the bolt body and the action which they had huge problems with. the Axis now has only a partial plastic sleeve but none the less this makes the action week for anyone wanting anything more than a cheap plinker.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
If you do not intend on keeping the stock or barrel, maybe it makes sense to check gunbroker for a rifle with the correct action length and boltface and have it rebarreled. Savages are well built for the money, but the real advantage is that changes to barrels and boltfaces can be done with less work and in less time than similarly priced rifles. Even some rebarreled Rem 700s will be configured for a barrel nut, and although the Howa action has a slick bolt and integrated recoil lug, rebarreling the action is no small matter.
I'll sell the stock or stick it in a closet and most likely end up keeping the barrel that comes on it. Maybe several years down the road I'll pick another barrel.

ETA:
A few days ago I went into F&S to look an 11 over but couldn't get any help so over to Gander I went.
The friendly and prompt sales guy at Gander asked what I wanted to see so I told him. They didn't have the hog hunter but I looked at a Hunter series 11 just to check out the action and bolt.
He said they could order the hog hunter though. I was explaining to my wife the differences between the 2 when he interjected that they wouldn't ship anything to NY with a threaded barrel which pissed me off.
I fought off the urge to tear him a new one and kindly asked why? I mentioned there's no issue with any features on a bolt action firearm. He said NY won't allow it.
I told him flatly that there's no law against threaded barrels on bolt action rifles at which point he said that we could order it but it would never be shipped.
I handed him back the rifle and said thanks and walked out.
I'll be going through my usual FFL for the transfer and ordering this online when I make my final decision.
NY shops need to get their crap together. I don't care if they are big box or local yocal. I have heard more law related misinformation in both types of places when looking at firearms. They are only shooting themselves in the foot for sales when they can't give people correct factual information.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts