New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of getting a Savage 220 20ga for the upcoming deer season. I have read some great reviews on them.
Anybody own one or have any practical experience with shooting one?
While I only intend running 2 3/4 inch shells, my main interest is in the felt recoil and shootability of the gun (need to keep the recoil down due to recent shoulder injury).
Can anyone give me a 'practical' comparison between shooting the Savage 220 or Remington 870 using the same loads?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a camo/stainless 220 in the safe right now but haven't got a scope mounted yet or fired it. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I can report back when I do get it set up and put some rounds through it, though that will probably be a month or more. I had Johnson's order this one, they had blued ones on the rack and I think they got an extra SS at the same time as mine. I'm always surprised at how lightweight it is when I pick it up (granted, no scope yet). The camo on mine looks better in person than in some internet pictures I found when searching. The trigger is pretty decent, stock is comfortable but cheapo, bolt travel smooths out with some use, fit and finish is typical Savage (serviceable, nothing to brag about), magazine is finicky to insert (back end first) but I'll deal with it. Haven't shot it yet and already I have a feeling I'm going to really like it.

Currently I use a 20ga Gold Hunter, which I will keep and continue to use for different situations. Recoil on that has always been pleasant. What I'm hoping to accomplish with the 220 over the GH is primarily a far better trigger pull (GH is maybe 7 lbs and creeeeeepy) and more consistent accuracy for the times I don't need/want the autoloader.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Your going to want to look at an auto, the felt recoil is considerabley less than ANY pump or bolt gun

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your going to want to look at an auto, the felt recoil is considerabley less than ANY pump or bolt gun
I considered that and definitely have not ruled it out as a best case scenario but I was looking to offset the 'pain in my shoulder' with the 'pain in my wallet', lol.
Fortunately the damage is not in my right shoulder (right handed shooter) so I am more concerned about residual recoil as apposed to direct recoil.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have owned both the 870 and 220 in 20 ga Ted.....

220 handles recoil "better" I think with basic 110 type rifle stock and the trigger is pretty good. I'm a pretty light build and added a limbsaver recoil pad; although at deer season I'm wearing more cloths, but it helps off the bench and practice in better weather.

I sold mine to a guy from NJ who hunts by me and I'm on the hunt for another......its good enough to want one again and I can't say that some that have been sent down the road.

If I do anyhting this time it might be add a little weight in the fore end as I happen to like a little barrel heavy feel in a stiffer recoil gun.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned both the 870 and 220 in 20 ga Ted.....

220 handles recoil "better" I think with basic 110 type rifle stock and the trigger is pretty good. I'm a pretty light build and added a limbsaver recoil pad; although at deer season I'm wearing more cloths, but it helps off the bench and practice in better weather.

I sold mine to a guy from NJ who hunts by me and I'm on the hunt for another......its good enough to want one again and I can't say that some that have been sent down the road.

If I do anyhting this time it might be add a little weight in the fore end as I happen to like a little barrel heavy feel in a stiffer recoil gun.
I was looking at the 870 with the cantilevered barrel as my fall back option as I owned one in 12ga with the Shurshot Grip and loved the gun. I did shoulder the 220 today at a local store and would have preferred it with a little more weight.
How were you intending to add weight to the for-end?
Glad to see the 220 has swivel studs as I have a nice sling that will look good on it.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
There is always a really good recoil pad if its still too much. But in reality, how much are you goign to shoot it, a few rounds to sight it in and maybe a few at a deer, maybe 1, anywho, dont' think you will be hammering with tons of rounds.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was looking at the 870 with the cantilevered barrel as my fall back option as I owned one in 12ga with the Shurshot Grip and loved the gun. I did shoulder the 220 today at a local store and would have preferred it with a little more weight.
How were you intending to add weight to the for-end?
Glad to see the 220 has swivel studs as I have a nice sling that will look good on it.
A cantilever 870 is my "old" set up; I had to tinker with a pad on the stock to get a good fit/ feel and can't ever say anything nice about the trigger; but it sure has killed a pile of deer over the years with that 20 ga.

For some weight forward; route groove(s) in the barrel channel and add epoxy and lead shot. That first 220 free floated and shot great; Aimpoint for optics. In the butt, if I wanted some, shot in a baggie would work for a easy solution.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I think I am leaning towards the 870 with the cantilever (better the devil you know!) but if a 220 comes up at the 'cant pass it up' price then I might just take that instead.
Thanks for the in-put guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts