New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently waiting to hand in my paperwork to get a Saratoga county handgun permit. In the meantime, since I can't even hand it in until February 2013 as I just moved here, I'm doing research and taking classes. I made a call to the man running the Saratoga handgun safety class, advised him that I will be attending an 8 hour long NRA pistol safety and training course in VT and inquired if I may substitute that in place of the 4 hour long NRA course in Saratoga. He advised to write a letter to the judge after taking the class to see if I may get the local course waived. After thanking him and looking around online I can't figure out whom to write to, is there only one judge in the area or is there a few people I may contact regarding the matter?
The VT class is, in every way, better than the Saratoga class. It's twice as long and *gasp* will actually give me hands on experience with not just one but several handguns in various calibers. Hands on experience is something I have absolutely none of at this time as I grew up in a very anti-gun household.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Pistol Permits..................................................................885-2267

Maybe they can tell you who to contact?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good luck, not likely to work out for you. The class given by Saratoga County is not the NRA pistol class. Many will tell you, they won't even let you substitute another counties class in place of theirs. People have had to wait extremely long periods of time just to get into the class. The judges name is Richard Kupferman. If you call the permit / records office at the jail they can give you his mailing address.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just received contact back from one of the offices I contacted, they said if I want to contact the Saratoga county judge I can write to the following.

Richard A. Kupferman
30 McMaster Street
Ballston Spa, NY 12020

Now I just have to take the class and hope that a copy of the certificate of completion wih a well reasoned request will sway his opinion. I hope this is useful to others as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Back from the dead.

Any word on if they will waive this class for active duty military? I will eventually be moving back to NY and would like to have my ducks in a row before I enter the state.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't believe Saratoga County waives the course for anyone. A friend of mine is NRA certified trainer in about a dozen things, and works for the NYS Police (he is not a trooper). He had to take the course in Saratoga. When I took the course a few years ago, there were a couple of recently ex-military guys in there.

A new judge did start this past January, so I don't know if his requirements are any different, but if the precedent stands, EVERYONE has to take the course, no exceptions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A significant portion of the handgun safety course deals with New York State law. You're not going to get that from a course in VT, so I'm willing to bet that the judge won't waive the requirement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got the class waived when I got off of active duty in 05. I wrote to the judge and submitted a copy of my 522 showing 5 or so years of handgun training. I believe I had my permit about 3 weeks later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts