New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been looking into pistol permit for saratoga county and am seeing different options and steps to getting this permit. it seems painful. but does anybody know the step to step process of getting this permit? like where to get it if i can get it offline and why this safety course is such a pian to get into. if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You pick up the application from the Saratoga County Sheriff Office @ 6010 County Farm Road Ballston Spa, NY 12020

From there you will have to make an appointment to turn it back in. At this appointment you pay all the fees, and have photos and finger prints done.

You can turn in the app before you take the safety course or you can wait until the course is complete. But the instruction sheet says, the background investigation will not start until the safety course is complete.

The course takes so long to get into because the previous Judge would only except this particular course. The New Judge just hasn't changed anything. At least thats my best guess. Judge Kupferman only took the bench 1 Jan this year.

This is where the long @ss wait starts. I turned in my app 3 Jan, and the Judge waived the safety course (based on my military background) on 24 Feb. I'm still waiting for my permit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to get into the class quick. Call and schedule your class now, then submit your application. Once the app is in call back the class and tell them you submitted your app. They will call you first when there are cancellations due the fact you already have your paperwork in. A friend of mine submitted on Dec. 19 and received his permit last Thursday (may 10th). I submitted my paperwork on Dec 27, which was one week after. I should have my permit this Thursday. I took my class in January due to a cancellation. Being that I already had the ball rolling with the paperwork I was bumped from May to Jan with the class. Hope this info helps. Total process for me would be 4 mo. and 3 weeks, if thurdays my lucky day!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I've been putting off getting a pistol permit because I hear the horror stories of waiting and waiting and so on. I also know that the longer I wait the longer it will take ... it sucks being someone who thinks that patience is for people who don't want to get anything done!! Hahaha I'll go get the app this week and I'll take this ride with ya sigsauer250. :)

(Hey ... does it help if I have all judges and LE officers sign the application??)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is call and ask about using LE/judges as references, not sure on that one. The 4 references need to be non family and must live in Saratoga county. They also have to have known you for at least a year.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Is call and ask about using LE/judges as references, not sure on that one. The 4 references need to be non family and must live in Saratoga county. They also have to have known you for at least a year.
Are you sure they have to live in Saratoga County? Or can neighboring County residents sign? I think in Warren County you can live in a contiguous county? (is contiguous a word)?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
They are all non family, live in Saratoga County and all have known me all my life or over 20years. Hmmmm ... maybe not a good idea?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, in Saratoga county the references must be from IN county. This is just another difference in the pistol permit process from county to county.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I turned in my app, I listed the references on the app. While the clerk was processing the paper work, she gave me 4 envelpes to fill out with my references address. She told me they would go out in the next days mail. I was informed by all 4 of my references that they received the questionaire with in a week. I turned in on a tuesday, a 3 told me they got it on friday while the other told me monday.

Sorry I can't help with the number, I dont have the flyer that I was given. But the flyer comes in the app packet and I've been told it is on the counter at Zacks sports in round lake.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry, I miss read your question about the references. I asked my references to mail the questionaire in with a signature required. That way, I had proof that it was recieved. I also paid for it. I also asked that they mail it in themselfs as oppose to me doing it so that they were post marked different. That way, it was harder to argue that I had any influence on what they wrote.

But that was all just me.. After being in the military for 15 years, I tend not to trust the Gov't.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I got my permit this February.

Last February I got my paperwork and called to schedule the class. Took me 9 months to get into the class and took it the 1st week of November. In the mean time I had all my paperwork done and turned it ready to go. From the time I took the class it was another 3 months for my permit to come in the mail.

Now that I got my permit I wish we could work on the 3 week amendment process. It takes like 5 weeks to buy a pistol in saratoga county if you buy online. Buy the pistol and send money out, they ship to your ffl and send you the recept, you take it to the sheriffs station and wait another 3 weeks... SUCKS. I got 2 brand new pistols I paid for 2 weeks ago just hanging out waiting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would say that for anybody looking to start their permit process in Saratoga County the best thing you can do is head up to the jail and pick up your application packet. This packet tells exactly what needs to be done, who to call, etc. Most questions will be answered just by getting this.

·
Registered
261 Posts
From what you said above, you've already been waiting to get your permit because you heard there was a lot of waitng involved.... ;)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
just got my permit in the mail today!! 135 days from the day I dropped off the app....so really not too bad, of course I say that now that the wait is over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts