New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buddy bought a New Saiga today and we had about 12 mins to try it out so we went and fired 10 rounds I collected the brass and when we got home I noticed that one of the cases had split from the top about half an inch down. We were shooting 125gr soft point Golden bear ammo, after we noticed the case we inspected the rifle and noticed nothing damaged or out of the ordinary. We did a quick cleaning of the rifle before we went out . While firing the rifle we didn't notice anything and all the casings fell withing a foot of one another. My question is how concerned with this should we be?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
have seen similar case cracking on sks with lower power rounds, i figure it had something to do with either the cheap wolf i was using or the fact that the bolt smacked em just right due to lower power and not a full bolt motion.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
no worries.

I am sure this is a bad case/ load. Over the years I have measured the consistency of several russian brands steel and brass and the spreads are all over the place. No much attention is put to QA. The powders are horrible too. The military yugo and some russian are better.
But hey, once in a while it happens to the best too, even Lake city, hornady or remington. I can show you some crazy case failures.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rather than make a new topic I'll just tag this in here as well what is the easiest way to make this gun 922r compliant? and once compliant you will still have to modify preban ak mags to fit gun correct? New to the ak platform as well as my first run in with 922r.

Thanks for the posts above fellas.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Rather than make a new topic I'll just tag this in here as well what is the easiest way to make this gun 922r compliant? and once compliant you will still have to modify preban ak mags to fit gun correct? New to the ak platform as well as my first run in with 922r.

Thanks for the posts above fellas.
No need to touch the mags or receiver. You jus need to buy or fabricate a simple ramp/guide for the bullet. Keep in mind surplus hi-cap mags are made outside so you need to make the actual carbine compliant w/o mags. Then when you use a tapco US made 10 rounder this is another 3 extra compliance parts but you DO WANT the firearm compliant w/o mags.

This is an old budget that also outlines the compliance parts so you know what is involved in dancing the compliance tango..

THR - View Single Post - Saiga .308 16" - Ak reliability and M1A Accuracy at .22LR prices.

I posted this as an example here. It is simple. This is a plane jane conversion. Hundreds of others in this and other forums have similar conversions and some beautiful ones you might be interested on...

THR - View Single Post - Saiga .308 16" - Ak reliability and M1A Accuracy at .22LR prices.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is your brass. Try some new factory brass from U.S. and I think your problem will be gone. I was given some 30 carbine ammo from WW2 and every single one split from mouth to base so I had to junk them.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Like all have said before: brass, not gun

Improperly annealed brass specifically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts