New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a newbie, just wanted to clarify questions about the safe act.

True or false, I can either buy featureless or can have the features I want (excluding bayonet, suppressor, grenade launcher) but must have fixed magazine.

Do I have to register an AR even if complying with the safe act.

Can I use a standard lower with an AR Maglock to make it "fixed" and legal

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes you can own a featureless, or a fixed mag variant with any features you want (excluding nfa suppressors, grenade launcher)

You do not have to register your AR and I don't think it's even possible to register them anymore as the amnesty period closed years ago.

Standard lower with a "mag lock" is a grey area open to the interpretation of who sees it.. I believe it's fine, but Officer Shiney Boots might want to make a case out of it..

All that being said I am not an attorney, I sure ain't your attorney, and left the communist Republic of new yorkistan earlier this year for a more free state..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im a newbie, just wanted to clarify questions about the safe act.

True or false, I can either buy featureless or can have the features I want (excluding bayonet, suppressor, grenade launcher) but must have fixed magazine.

Do I have to register an AR even if complying with the safe act.

Can I use a standard lower with an AR Maglock to make it "fixed" and legal
Yes you can buy featureless or NY compliant. If the rifle has an approved mag lock permanently securing the magazine (10 round capacity) in the lower receiver requiring u to separate the upper from the lower to reload it …good to go. The New York State police pistol permit unit approves the mag locks (good luck getting anything in writing). Best bet is to buy one from a reputable FFL they usually do their research. As far as registering anything that window closed years ago and there is no way to register anything new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes you can buy featureless or NY compliant. If the rifle has an approved mag lock permanently securing the magazine (10 round capacity) in the lower receiver requiring u to separate the upper from the lower to reload it …good to go. The New York State police pistol permit unit approves the mag locks (good luck getting anything in writing). Best bet is to buy one from a reputable FFL they usually do their research. As far as registering anything that window closed years ago and there is no way to register anything new.
forgot to mention that the registration only applied to the states rediculous definition of an “assault weapon” if the mag is fixed or the gun is ny compliant featureless it doesn’t fall into the made up category of assault weapon therefore there is no registration needed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is a third option. You can buy an “other” from a FFL. If you do so be sure to get the BATF letter of certification as to its classification. Some people have built their own or gone to FFLs that build them without letters. In my opinion having the letter is the best way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But... "IF" you build your own you are now required to have a serial # engraved or it would be considered one of those scary "Ghost Guns".

Now, what are you supposed to do with this serial #??? I was told to keep it in a safe place just in case it gets stolen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
But... "IF" you build your own you are now required to have a serial # engraved or it would be considered one of those scary "Ghost Guns".

Now, what are you supposed to do with this serial #??? I was told to keep it in a safe place just in case it gets stolen.
BATF always suggested serial numbers but I have long guns that never had them from the factory. When did NY make this a law?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

So I'm interested in getting a NY complaint AR15 not because I want a restricted rifle BUT because I live in NY and don't want the headache. So here's a snippet of the NY SAFE Act:

"The SAFE Act has banned the following features from any semi-automatic rifle that is ‘capable of receiving a detachable magazine’ and has ‘one or more of the following military characteristics’:
  • Folding or Telescoping Stock
  • Protruding Pistol Grip
  • Thumbhole Stock
  • Second Handgrip or Protruding Grip that can be held by non-shooting hand
  • Bayonet Mount
  • Flash Suppressor
  • Muzzle Brake
  • Muzzle Compensator
  • Or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate the above (flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or muzzle compensator)
  • Grenade Launcher
The SAFE Act also limits the capacity of removable magazines and even fixed magazines to 10 rounds. Hunting laws limit all semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, or pistols with a barrel length of 8-inches or longer to a 5-round capacity during hunting use."

With that "said", does that mean I would be allowed all those features (not interested in the M203 grenade launcher or suppressor) if I had a FIXED 10 round magazine?

Seems like the path of least resistance is just getting the fixed magazine and having a few side loaders right? As NY'ers we're used to the 10 round limit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
fixed mag is the way to go. IMHO, if you're doing featureless you might as well get a different gun designed that way on purpose.

re: multical the ghost gun ban was passed last year & went in to effect on 1/1/22. I don't even think you can put a SN on a gun to make it non-ghost, it's illegal to build one w/o a SN'ed proper part, period. I'd have to check the law again, but that's what I thought it said when I read through it last year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Happy Friar, I knew it was a Bill but I wasn’t up on it being passed. I remember when California passed their such bill several years ago the crazy was to buy pre serialized 80%s. But the issue here goes further than ghost guns. There’s are 100s of thousands of long rifles out there from the mid 60s and back that never had serial numbers. I have several and can’t see the state or BATF requiring me to serialize a factory made firearm nor can they preclude its legal transfer. As far as ghost, and I hate that term, I’ll have to find the exact wording in the passed Bill and see how that reflects against the BATF wording. According to BATF you added the serial according to their recommendations. It would be too over reaching of any Bill to say you couldn’t put a serial number and make it legal. You may just have to register it. I’ll have to investigate that further. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts