New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it appears someone complained about my Repeal the Safe Act sign and the town was here today. Unfortunately, my wife was out front and didn't get me so I have her account of the discussion. The town official was very respectful, polite and made a clear point that he agrees fully with the sign. Apparently there is some sort of "right of way" rule that required him to move the sign back further from the road.

I know the town supervisor, police chief and board members so I have requested what the code is and where it is in writing. In fact one of the board members I know has a sign in his front yard and was going to check first thing as soon as he got home.

In the meantime I made sure to put up one of my additional signs in the front yard as well. Of course it is set back from the road as well. LOL. Interested to see if that makes a point to the person that complained.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Any thoughts on who the communist coward is that was upset? Maybe you can get on Fox and Friends like celt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any thoughts on who the communist coward is that was upset? Maybe you can get on Fox and Friends like celt.
No idea, we have new neighbors but no reason to think it's them yet. I live on a main road so it could be pretty much anyone.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Id make one out of a sheet of plywood... A little farther back from the road of course.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Identification is becoming more and more important. I would want to know who made this hair splitting complaint and who officially endorsed it. Letting them get away with the little things has helped lead us to where we are. FUAC! FUBO!
Robin

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Such codes are not uncommon. They are applied to political signs as well. I think my city has a setback of 10 feet.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I would look at every other sign and see if they comply.....if not......that's "signage profiling"...they're picking on you just because you have a sign.........(don't run too far with that idea)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Sounds like its time to put out a trail cam..... I know a member here that can point you in the right direction. He even help make someone famous/infamous with his.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
In many towns, laws regarding signs in a right of way only apply to permanent installs and signs over a certain size. Campaign signs are usually exempt. Since the SAFE act sign is of the same type and is political in nature, you may not have to remove or move it. Check the town law very carefully. If they ARE correct, be sure you complain about EVERY anti campaign sign put out in the town and request they be moved or removed. If the town does not back your request, get it in writing as to why not and install your sign again using their letter against them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If it were me I would make a continuos line of signs on all of the street visible property at my house.
It would look like the signs were all holding hands and chanting FUAC all the live long day :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In many towns, laws regarding signs in a right of way only apply to permanent installs and signs over a certain size. Campaign signs are usually exempt. Since the SAFE act sign is of the same type and is political in nature, you may not have to remove or move it. Check the town law very carefully. If they ARE correct, be sure you complain about EVERY anti campaign sign put out in the town and request they be moved or removed. If the town does not back your request, get it in writing as to why not and install your sign again using their letter against them.
There are other repeal signs on my street and those, at this point in time, have not been moved back. I would hate to complain and force more SAFE Act repeal signs further from the road.

I'm sure I'll have an answer from my guy on the town board in a few days and go from there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Having just used celts trail cam to catch the perp who has been vandalizing my signs, maybe we have a new home waiting for the cam :D

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Such codes are not uncommon. They are applied to political signs as well. I think my city has a setback of 10 feet.
Yes my city has them as well. I have my sign like 8 feet or so from the side of the road. Trust me you can see it.

The downer is that I'm on a dead end road, so few people see it. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts